Removing rear seats

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By technobear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2004, 03:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Default Removing rear seats

I've removed my rear seats a couple of times now and I'm really glad you can remove them, BUT!!!! I have already dinged rear passenger jamb losing control of the seat. Anybody figured out an easy way to remove and reinstall? Tried out the back hatch, still tuff, probably just rushing because they're pretty heavy(passenger side anyway).
Old 24 Jul 2004, 09:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to hoopdiewagon

[:I]Just be careful I guess....
Old 25 Jul 2004, 09:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

Those things are heavy!! I can't figure out why they weigh so much.

Anyways, they're easy to take off, but can be a pain to put back in. What I do is just keep the rear-seats folded down all the time. Give me better visibillity, more room to put my stuff, and the seats don't block the back speakers as much.

If I could, I would take them out. But I have no place to put them, they're a pain to get back in, and you just never know when you'll need a back seat

Old 25 Jul 2004, 12:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

If you ever get to see MX-5's car, he never uses his back seats.
Personally, i spend too much time toting that third person around to risk taking the back seats out. However i have contemplated removing the larger heavier seat, so that if i do want to or need to take them all out it leaves the easier seat to remove.

Why are they so heavy? Sometime go look at a fords removable seats. YEah they may be lighter but they are obviously flimsier! And if you have to ride in one of those Ford seats your posterior will let you know that you are riding in a cheaper lighter seat.

1. heavy is sturdier
2. allows for the hardware to be more comfortable ( i dont know about your PT buy my back seat is alright!)

IMHO
alex1378 likes this.
2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 25 Jul 2004, 04:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Not complaining about construction or weight just don't want to ding jamb again. Originally asked, any easy way to remove or install?

Gonz
Old 25 Jul 2004, 06:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Perhaps try taking them out with 2 people, instead of by yourself. Perhaps lay a towel over the doorjam to give some cushion. There really is no way around the awkwardness, I lift all sorts of heavy stuff at work, and I'd rather take out a table saw from the back then one of those seats.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 09:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Not sure how to help you gonzo.
Im 20 and lift 50 lbs on average at the gym and think those seats are heavy.
I once used one instead of a lawn chair at a show once when I forgot mine.

Have you tried removing the drivers side then rotate the passenger side to move in into the hatch then out the back? [:I]

I have not yet had to completely remove my passenger side yet. This is way I wanted a four door car. Three people on average trip.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 01:57 am
Cool Cruiser

My opinion: take the driver's side(smaller) out first, through the back door, then roll the passenger side (much larger) out the back hatch. If you have 2 people, you can easily lift it out hatch from either side. I'm 6'4" and I still find it a bit heavy. I just wish they had made the wheels on it a little bit bigger.
SRG