Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transponder Keys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2004, 07:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transponder Keys

I was reading a post from earlier this year (MARCH)and I came across someone saying that if you have transponder keys, your car has some sort of sleep mode to shut the car down if it is started in some other manner other than using the transponder key. People were debating it and I was wondering does anyone here have a positive answer to that. Also, how do you know if you have a transponder key. My cruiser is equipped with the factory alarm (I THINK). I am still a newbie to this, I have only owned my 2001 for about a month now. Thanks for any responses. Randy
Old 26 Jul 2004, 07:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Randy,

The thick, grey key is usually a clue. DCX vehicles that do not have the Sentry Key system (transponder) usually have thinner black keys. Also, you should have a red, flashing light in your instrument cluster if you have the factory alarm. The light flashes whenever you fully lock the car.

To be honest, I don't think I have ever seen a PT that didn't have the Sentry Key system.

The Sentry Key is an immobilizer. The car can be started by a key that will fit. However, the car will only stay on for a few seconds, then it will shut down. The transponder is needed in order to keep the vehicle running. IF you have the owner's manual, the manual will give you the lowdown on the features.

Scott
Old 26 Jul 2004, 08:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sweet, I have the grey, thicker keys. So does that hold true if someone was to punch the column like thieves do? I mean if no key is used, does this still happen? Thanks for the input. That is an awesome feature, I am surprised I have not heard much about this. I will have to do some manual reading tonight.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 10:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

It shouldn't be able to run without that key... Also, try to not to loose your key, because they cost about $100 each! [:0]

Old 27 Jul 2004, 05:10 am
Cool Cruiser

While you have two keys, go to e-bay and pick one or two up for about $15 and have them cut and program them as outlined in your owners manual. As long as you have two keys you can program new keys yourself.
Tom
Old 27 Jul 2004, 08:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ElectricBlueGT

The thick, grey key is usually a clue. DCX vehicles that do not have the Sentry Key system (transponder) usually have thinner black keys.
Isn't the fob with lock, unlock & Panic buttons another clue? [:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Jul 2004, 04:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

This is the only problem I've had with my PTGT at 674 miles, in 6,000 miles, Opiate. I went out one Sat am and it started right up, then quit. It started three more time and died, then wouldn't start. It was a convenient day to have it happin so I called DCX and got a tow. The worst part was having to go past my neighbors (3) with Mini Coopers. They all pointed and LOL! I got it back in four days with a new SKIM (S???? Key Immobilizer Module) at N/C.[?]

Jn
Old 27 Jul 2004, 08:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JPMS GT

This is the only problem I've had with my PTGT at 674 miles, in 6,000 miles, Opiate. I went out one Sat am and it started right up, then quit. It started three more time and died, then wouldn't start. It was a convenient day to have it happin so I called DCX and got a tow. The worst part was having to go past my neighbors (3) with Mini Coopers. They all pointed and LOL! I got it back in four days with a new SKIM (S???? Key Immobilizer Module) at N/C.[?]

Jn
Hopefully some one can verify this,,,,, but I thought after 3 start attempts without transponder key it "slept" for 24 hrs but then you could start it????????
Tom
Old 28 Jul 2004, 06:58 pm
Young Cruiser

YUP make sure you have at least 3 keys ...

if you have 2 you can program the third all by yourself,,instructions in manual

I just had to replace one of mine...(thick grey plastic one)

Cost at the dealership for key and programming $102.95 Canadain funds

OUCH