PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil drain plug valves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2004, 11:16 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Default Oil drain plug valves

Any body use these drain plug valves on their oil pans and are they safe? Fram makes them and "Fomoto" not sure if that's the other one.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Saw those in Wal-Mart the other day while walking around, I think it was from FRAM. Seems like a good idea, but wondering how safe it was from tampering or running over something really low that could activate the little handle that would spill your oil all over the place? [:I] Yea it could save a few seconds when you lying on the ground changing the oil and filter and a little less messy, but for piece of mind, I'll stick with the conventional drain plug.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 12:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ive looked at them too. THe concept sounds great but the reality of it worries me.
2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 27 Jul 2004, 12:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

I never seem to be able to find the correct gasket or o-ring for plug. It seems every car I have is the most popular size. I never reuse gasket or o-ring. Just for piece of mind. Chrysler sold me new plug said no replacement part, it was like $4.00.

Gonz
Old 27 Jul 2004, 01:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

I tried the Fram drain valve in my import pickup, and even with the oil really hot (just driven, 10x30 oil) it was very, very slow. I felt it took too long to drain the oil, and the drain tube turned out to be a pain. I went back to the standard drain plug. The drain valve had plenty of clearence, and seemed to be 'out of danger' in this installation. I just didn't see any advantage in using the drain valve.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 04:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Gonz,
Like Almond Turbo. I have a Fram on our PT. They are safe, they come with a screw on safety cover with O-ring seal and don't really hang below the pan. I do find they drain slow but since we don't have a garage and I do the oil change in the driveway, the hose fits nicely into a jug and I don't worry about a little wind blowing that thin trickle of oil all over the driveway as it drains. I just run the PT up on the ramps and start draining the oil while I get the new filter and oil ready.
[8)]
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 28 Jul 2004, 01:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have the Fumoto. Got it from NAPA. It's solid brass and the lever is spring-loaded and takes some direct effort to open, so it's not going to open on its own.

It works and has clearance. My perspective is this: Cast aluminum oil pan plus hasty mechanic yields stripped threads. It's an insurance policy that costs $15.