Advertisements
Rear Seatbelt locked with seat folded flat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2004, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear Seatbelt locked with seat folded flat

Hi I'm a new user to this board.
Have a red 2002 Limited edition.
I recently folded the rear passenger carseat flat and cannot get it upright again as the middle seatbelt has locked and needs to pull out a bit to get the seat upright. I know that there is a safety mechanism that locks this belt if the seat is not locked in place...I have tried locking the mechanism on the seat manually but that makes no difference. I have also tried removing the seat to bring the rear of the seat back to its upright position in case gravity would unlock the belt.

I don't know hwy this has happened noe as I have put the seat down many other times with no problem.

I had been using a child seat prior to this propblem...perhaps this has contributed to the problem.

If anyone can help me that would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 27 Jul 2004, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've had this happen to me as well, it took me almost 30 minutes to work it free. I was able to keep working it back and forth to release the clutch and finally got enough slack to let it all the way out... all this while trying to leave for a vacation!

maybe somebody has a better solution... good luck
Old 27 Jul 2004, 06:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks ijoe for the suggestion...but i couldn't get the belt out at all working it from side to side. I pulled out the seat altogether and tiped the seat up so the back of it was in the normal reclined position and then the belt freed itself. But as soon as the seat is folded down it locks again...and the seat really needs to be folded to get it back in...I guess I will take it to the dealer, perhaps warranty will cover getting it fixed.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 08:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Welcome wondermur,
I think you can disengage the ratch mechanism with a flat head screw driver. This might help until you can get it to the dealer. I wouln't mess around with it it maybe covered. This link might help from OEM chrysler parts https://www.1stchryslerparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html

Gonz
Old 28 Jul 2004, 03:39 am
Young Cruiser

Hi WonderMur,
There's a little molded rubber/plastic button on the seat belt that keeps the belt from retracting too far into the back of the seat. If it's broken off, the belt retracts too far and locks. If you can work the belt out again, you'll probably notice it's missing. At least that's what caused mine to lock up like that. I replaced the button with a chrome one that had teeth on the bottom that I could push through the belt and mash them down. Haven't had the problem since then. (I don't know where that chrome button came from, found it laying around my garage)
Old 28 Jul 2004, 10:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by R.E.

Hi WonderMur,
Haven't had the problem since then. (I don't know where that chrome button came from, found it laying around my garage)
...and that is why you NEVER throw anything away!!!!

Old 28 Jul 2004, 11:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Wondermur,
If you go to ptdiy. I think there is a search #947 that explains this problem. After the seatbelt was able to be retracted the dealer did the button trick.http://www.ptdoityourself.net/index.html

Gonz
Old 30 Jul 2004, 01:30 am
Young Cruiser

That's true Hooligan. Thinking back I seem to remember where that button might have came from. But I haven't been able to find the goat to verify it.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 10:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Seatbelt locked with seat folded flat

For anyone who has been searching for an answer to the question of what to do with a stuck center-rear PT Cruiser seatbelt, here is the crux of your problem.

If the button that prevents the seatbelt from retracting in further has popped off and you fold down your seat, you will find that you can no longer unfold the seat and the seatbelt is stuck. The primary reason for why the seatbelt is stuck is because the button that you have to push down to fold the seat down to begin with is not all the way up. Because of this, the seatbelt mechanism built inside the back seat will stay in a locked position and not allow you to pull out the seatbelt.

Here's what to do to get the seatbelt to be unstuck. What you need is a #2 Phillips screwdriver or anything that can simulate what happens when you fold your seat upright and the latch secures around the metal security loop.

1) Take the Phillips screw driver and insert it sideways into the clamp mechanism that is roughly 3-inches down from where the button is that allows you to fold the seat. As you do this, observe that the clamping mechanism will surround your screwdriver shaft. Ultimately, the clamp will fully deploy around the screwdriver shaft and you will see the fold button pop all the way up.

2) At this point, you should be able to unfold the seat and observe that the center seatbelt will now move freely.

3) Press the button that allows you to fold the seat again so that the clamp returns to its released position... very important in order to fold the seat upright so that it latches.

When the seat is up, you will want to make sure that the center belt did not lose the button that prevents the belt from retracting all the way into the seat. If it is missing, you will need to take measures to make sure the belt does not retract in again (sew on a button or washer, or stamp on a snap button... anything larger than the slit that the seatbelt retreats into. Ideally, the button should be placed on the belt so that there is enough belt to conform to the contour of the seat when the seat is unfolded.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 11:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Rear Seatbelt locked with seat folded flat

Welcome to the forum!......I guess you didn't happen to notice this thread is over 9 years old?lol......We've had lots of members with this issue,and the solution you posted is the common fix;The reason this happens is somewhat mentioned in most PT Cruiser's owners manual(under 'seat belts').
This is one of the more recent threads on the subject:
Rear Passenger Fold-down seat stuck