PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
More Popping Sound AGAIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2004, 11:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to jmack
Default More Popping Sound AGAIN

It is me again. Well today, my popping sound when turning left came back. I find it quite odd. It seems that whenever it rains, or it is humid, the car does not do this, but the minute the sun comes out and dries up everything, it pops again! This morning, I was going to back into a parking space at work. So I pull up beside the car, put the car into reverse, cut the wheel to the left, and the minute I apply the gas, POP! there it goes.

At this point I am absolutely completely perplexed. I have taken the car to my 5 Star Dealer and they said they have inspected the tie rods, the steering gear, etc and they cannot find anything wrong with it. Of course when I went with the tech to recreate the action, it wouldn't do it.

I guess I am just getting frustrated with the whole situation. When the dealer tells you not to worry about it, yet it keeps doing this, it gives me this sense of worry. I would hate to be traveling down the interstate and the car just stop working. That is my worst nightmare.

And of course, yes, I have read all the forum posts, so before people read this and go, "UGH, him again....you should check out _____" If there is anyone out there that has had this type of trouble specifically, I would appreciate any input you have. I am at my wits end.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 01:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

dont worry J im in the same boat. Mine is popping just as you say. Im going to have a friend turn the wheel while i inspect underneath to see what the deal is. It does not feel right one bit and as soon as I get to the bottom of it you will be the first to know.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 02:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well just so you know if this helps you too Rally, is that mine only pops when the car is moving. It doesn't do it while it is stationary. It does it when I am going left only. It doesn't do it all the time. It also doesn't do it after it has rained. I am just over it. I am actually taking it to the dealer today at 3pm, so hopefully I can get us all an answer. My concern is that if it is the Ball Joint, then this could be BIG TROUBLE if you are going down the interstate.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 10:33 am
Cool Cruiser

I'd suggest taking it to another dealer. If that doesn't work, you might have to call the Chrysler 800 number.

When my 2002 was new I had the service manager of the 5-star dealership who sold me the car, stand under the car with me, and tell me that he didn't know WHAT fluid that was. The idea seemed to be that if he couldn't identify the fluid, and the car ran ok, he didn't have to fix it. Deciding that if the service manager was going to say that, over an obvious oil leak, I didn't WANT him to work on my car, and they haven't touched my car since then.

At another dealership, a 22 year old kid, looked at the car for a bout 10 seconds and told me, "It's an oil leak, looks like the rear main seal needs to be replaced". Then they fixed the car.

SRG

Old 31 Jul 2004, 08:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Well I might as well join the club.
My PT also pops at times when in a hard left turn.
It will make the noise once in a while, but not all the time.
And especially not when it's at the dealer.
So I am thinking its releated to the power steering, and
just live with it.
Or until someone else gets their problem fixed. Let us all
know whats up.[:I]
Old 31 Jul 2004, 09:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Have you looked for shiney spots on any stationary pieces that have moving parts next to them. Maybe it is something that is hanging up a tad and you can't feel it because it's power steering. You stated that when it rains you can't hear it , maybe the rain acts as a lubricant or muffles the sound. This is all speculation

Gonz
Old 01 Aug 2004, 10:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

JMack
I forget, do you have lowering springs? What brand?
Old 02 Aug 2004, 09:29 am
Cool Cruiser

Update on this:
I took it to my new 5 star dealer. They had it for about half the day Friday. They said that more than likely it was going to need a new Rack and Pinion. Est cost is about 442.00 plus labor and tax. So needless to say, I will have to start saving up for that bad boy. I will be on business in Houston so hopefully I can save some money since I will have the company credit card.

It is really saddening, but I wont let it get me down.
Old 03 Aug 2004, 02:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PTNeo

I had a similar problem, mine popped when i would shift from reverse to drive, ended up being the top motormount. Just a suggestion.[)]
!$NEO$! 2001 PT Cruizer Limited Edition, Intake vortex, Cold Air intake, Headers, Cherry Bomb with dual lake pipes,Gold Line Lowering Springs, Old school Bomb Rear Lights, Infinity Head unit, 4 TV\'s, Playstation, DVD, 2 MTX mono Amps, 1500 Watts Each, 3 12\'inch Infinity Kappas.
Old 03 Aug 2004, 02:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had that checked. It isn't the motor mounts. It only does it when you steer to the left...but I appreciate the thoughts!