Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Check Engine Light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jul 2004, 11:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Check Engine Light

I've had my 2003 TE for about 18 months now. At about 3 months, the check engine light went off, the dealer looked at it, said it was nothing, and turned off the light. About 3 weeks ago, it went off again as I was driving home. Took it to the dealer, they said it was the gascap that was loose. I've heard talk about this, but I have since day 1 made sure the gascap is locked down tight. Yesterday, the check engine light came on as soon as I started the car. I tightened down the gascap, the light stayed on, I opened the gascap and tightened it down again, still on. What do ya'll think? It runs fine, smells fine, and sounds fine. Bad sensor? Isn't there a three strikes and your out lemon law that requires replacement of the part or the car? Taking it to the dealer on Monday, what should I do?
Old 31 Jul 2004, 11:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You'll have to check the lemon law as it pertains to your particular state. Menwhile, read your owners manual and tell us the code that's being set. Whenever that "check engine" light comes on the computer sets a code. You can narrow the problem down with the code.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Aug 2004, 12:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Turn the key on (but not all the way to start), then off, then on, then off, then on, then off, then on, and read the code number that appears in the odometer.

That code will tell you why the check engine light turned on.
Blanes HoodStruts
etc.
Old 01 Aug 2004, 02:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

My wife had the gas cap problem about a month ago.
She filled up with gas. Got in and it was really hard
to start.On the way home the check engine lite came
on.She called me.I told her to check the gas cap.
She took it off and put it back on.It started
right up and have not had that problem again.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 03 Aug 2004, 01:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

when mine when off, i searched this forum for info and went to PTDIY and got all the info (for free) to get the code and read it. turned out to be the gas cap (which i always make sure is tight, just missed it one time i guess). replaced the cap correctly, and after about two days of limited driving with the light on (it does go off immediately) i disconnected the battery (got the idea from this forum!) and then the light went off. if the light comes on frequently for this problem, perhaps it could be as simple as the cap needs to be replaced?
Old 03 Aug 2004, 09:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Normally you can just do 3 click turns on the cap, but I usually go about 5.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Check Engine Light

Can anyone tell me what these codes are: P0038, P0032, P00441, P0452, & P0508? The engine light came on this morning and the car dies on me when I'm sitting still.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 01:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

P0038 H02S Bank 1 SENSOR 2 HEATER CIRCUIT HIGH.
P0032 HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0452 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
P0508 is; Idle Air Control Circuit Low

Dawn welcome to the Forum, !!
I googled Chrysler P_____ and the above is what I got from that. Im not sure exactly what they mean, I think P0452 may be a loose gas cap.

Without know the year, type ie: NA or Turbo it's kind of hard to diagnose.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Jul 2008, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It is a 2004 2.5L Turbo. And I thought the P0441 might be the gas cap so I took it off and put it back on and that's when the P0452 came on.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 02:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't know much about Turbos, I'll let the experts answer the questions. Is the PT throwing all of the above codes at the same time?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar