Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Extended Warranty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2004, 01:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Extended Warranty

My rear suspension on my 02 Limited Edition is making chirps and cranks. I've got 50k miles on the car and have a 6/60 Chrysler extended warranty.

Last Friday, I called to make an appointment, the service person was VERY negative about the whole thing. "If the part isn't specifically listed on the warranty, it's not covered". I mentioned that would be surprising, considering I was told that the extended warranty basically extends the bumper to bumper warranty. "Then your next call should be to the finance dept. to complain about what you were sold". is the answer I got.

I finally realized that something was amiss when I heard, "I don't agree with what they are selling out front." It turns out, that this 5-star dealership doesn't sell Chrysler extended warranties! Just some 3rd party company. I'm amazed to hear this and also to basically see that when a service person, thinking that you are calling for warranty coverage that the dealership sells, is saying that the coverage is pretty poor. If you're buying a Chrysler vehicle from a dealer, why would you buy another company's warranty?

Then I was told I must agree, in advance, to pay charges for the car to be put up on the lift and diagnosed, in case it turns out to be a non-covered repair. If the repair is covered, the charges are covered.

Is this the way everyone is treated with extended warranty repairs?

SRG
Old 02 Aug 2004, 02:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's ridiculous. I suggest you ask to speak to the owner of the dealership, and get the "lay of the land" directly.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Aug 2004, 02:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to jmack

I just recently had this happen to me at a local 5-star dealer. Needless to say, a complaint with the Better Business Bureau got that straightened out.
Old 02 Aug 2004, 07:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Then I was told I must agree, in advance, to pay charges for the car to be put up on the lift and diagnosed, in case it turns out to be a non-covered repair. If the repair is covered, the charges are covered.

On this point they are right. If you read your extended warranty you will find you are responsible for diagnosis charges and the warranty covers allot but not everything the 3/ 36 covers. They would like you to think everything is covered but it's still worth what the warranty cost.

IMHO I would take it to another dealer because if you aren't being treated right they won't do a good job witch is very important. Even if it's not covered they may try to overcharge you
Old 02 Aug 2004, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

IF it is NOT issued by Chrysler, normally you are required to pay UP FRONT and then submit the paperwork to your warranty company. I had went on line and bought a extended warranty, found out it was NOT isssued by Chrysler and cancelled it. I purchased my Chrysler warranty directly on line from a Chrysler Dealer out of state (FL), saved about $800 on the same coverage.

IMHO, anything less than a Chrysler extended warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on.[:I]

I have worked for a GM/Chrysler dealer for about 5 years in the past and have seen MANY car owners very upset when you told them, "I'm sorry, this is NOT a (GM/CD, you pick) warranty and you'll have to pay and try to collect".
Old 02 Aug 2004, 10:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok, back from the dealer. After agreeing, in advance, to pay for the diagnosis charge if it wasn't a covered repair, they checked out the car and found that the links to the rear torsion bar need to be replaced. That and the damn front door check-straps (God, can't Chrysler come up with door check-straps that LAST???).

They had to "run the numbers" on the repairs, and found out that indeed, they were covered. So, I *only* have to pay the $100 deductable when the parts come in and are installed.

The really amazing thing about the first conversation I had with them was when the service person said, "Oh, you didn't say that you bought the car somewhere else." (meaning that it probably had a REAL Chrysler warranty).

Don, which is rediculous? That the dealer doesn't sell Chrysler warranties? or having to agree to pay diagnosis charges if it turns out to be a not covered repair? I can't believe Chrysler lets/or doesn't have a right to stop dealers from using "Chrysler" showrooms to sell someone else's product.

SRG