Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Braking problem ??!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2004, 07:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Braking problem ??!!

As i was goin back home, i had my windows down and cruising at about 25 mph . As i hit the brake i hear a sound goin like "Tss Tss Tss Tss Tsssssss(when complete Stop)"

Am not sure what it is , but i will really appretiate all the advice given from you guys.

Thx
Old 11 Aug 2004, 09:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

It could be a number of things. How many miles on current brakes? Are they drum or disks, or a combiation of both ? Has the car been sitting
for a while ? Has it been moist or extremly humid out ? All of those things may have caused the sound you mentioned. It could also be a brake that is not operating properly and just slightly drags instead of applying full force as it should.[B)]
Old 11 Aug 2004, 09:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

its a 2003 TE , i bought it in Feb/04 , i have about 12000 kms on it . The car has not been sitting , its a daily drive. temperature in here r high and it is very humid . Four disk brakes
Old 11 Aug 2004, 10:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Could be the humidity. If mine sits over night or at work when I start out there is some scraping. Not long though, maybe 3 or 4 brakings. It always seems to be right rear !!!

Gonz
Old 12 Aug 2004, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I hear it, too. Have heard it on other cars I've had. I believe it's slight warp in discs - the Tss is when high spots hit - unless the pedal vibrates when you brake, I wouldn;t worry about it (I don't).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Aug 2004, 07:37 am
Regular Cruiser

so will the sound go away then ?
Old 12 Aug 2004, 09:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to jmack

I believe that quicksilver is right. Mine used to do that when I first got it...You don't notice the sound unless you are going at a low rate of speed. The high speed braking eliminates the sound. It probably wouldn't hurt to take it in and have the rotors turned.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 10:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jmack

It probably wouldn't hurt to take it in and have the rotors turned.
Except you'll have even less thickness to dissipate heat which is what causes warping to begin with... [:I]
Old 12 Aug 2004, 11:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to jmack

True Very True. With that small amount of miles on it, I would just make them replace the damned things.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 12:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

I hear it, too. Have heard it on other cars I've had. I believe it's slight warp in discs - the Tss is when high spots hit - unless the pedal vibrates when you brake, I wouldn;t worry about it (I don't).
Rust on the rotors: I get that whenever the wee beasty sits for a few days, especially if it rains. It is uneven sometimes because the pads protect a portion of the rotors from rusting. After a few stops the problem goes away.

And with NYC traffic, it does not take long to do enough braking to clean the rotors.

As for vibration: I often get that wonderful foot massage when stopping hard enough to trigger the ABS. I figure I paid extra for the ABS, I might as well get some use out of it.
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com