PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Who here knows anything about Aooga Horns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Aug 2004, 11:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler
Default Who here knows anything about Aooga Horns?

I've tried to get help from 2 other boards, but so far I've came up empty. I've heard some of you guys talk about Aooga horns before so maybe one of you can give me the help I need.

Anyways, my dad bought this thing from a Garage sale several years ago for about $4. I'm not exactly sure if it is a Aooga Horn, but it is definetly old.

On the horn is a small metal plate that says: AMES Type MF 6 Volts Heinz Electric Company Lowell Mass U.S.A

Being that it is a 6-volt definetley prooves it's ancientness. However, you can turn them off with 12-volts I think. Anyways, I took the exposed wire and touched it to the terminals of the 12-volt battery on my mower, but I couldn't get it to work... Any Ideas?? I really want to get this thign running, and maybe even put it in the Cruiser (but I have to see if it actually works before I do that)

Old 20 Aug 2004, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dunno where you'd find room for it, but I can speak about aoogahs. There's a motor that pushes a diaphragm to make the noise. The motor could be frozen/shot. Are those rivets or bolts along the ring? Take it apart and see if you can turn the motor by hand. You can get DC-DC coverters to go 12 to 6V - try Radio Shack or, if you're patient - JC Whitney. Did it make any noise at all when you applied power? A hum? Is polarity marked on horn?
It's a good find - get it working, chrome it, and mount it on the roof like a semi!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Aug 2004, 02:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's some room behind the battery if you use an aftermarket air intake. I have the red JC Whitney Aooga horn you can see under the air filter.

Good luck with bringing that Aooga Horn back to life. I would think the inside would be as rusty as the outside.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 09:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

It did absolutley nothing, but I guess I was touching the right wire. I guess I need to take it apart, suppsoedly these things can seize up.

Old 21 Aug 2004, 12:24 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Is there any "extra real estate" in the 03-04 GTs where one could put an Aooga Horn? I don't see anywhere under the hood where it might fit. Anyone know if they make a very small horn that has a good sound?
Old 21 Aug 2004, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gary04GT

Anyone know if they make a very small horn that has a good sound?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.