PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coasting in Neutral...BAD?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2004, 01:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie
Default Coasting in Neutral...BAD?

I have a heavy foot, but after reading through several threads of how much the PT can, I am trying to drive really conservative. I have '04 GT with autostick. From my previous post (http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=9813), you can see that I drive on hilly roads and like to utilize engine braking. I am also considering shifting it in Neutral from Drive, so I can coast. Then shift it back to drive when I need to go. Is this a bad idea?
Old 31 Aug 2004, 04:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ed, like I said in the other post I drive my Autostick like a four speed as much as I can. I use automatic when its stop and go on he freeway. I have a Ford Explorer V8 I drive up and down the mountains and I go to neutral to coast ocassionaly. It got my mileage above 20 MPG one time. I haven't driven my GT in the mountains yet but I imagine it would improve the normal 17.5 MPG. I'm not worried about the Explorer's tranny though. On the sticker it said the tranny was made in France so I got the extended warrenty!

John
Old 01 Sep 2004, 10:24 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I've got the extended warranty (5/85k) as well with my PT. It's just I want to keep it longer than that. Even if the tranny goes during the warranty, I just don't want it being replaced by a rebuilt one. And if it goes after the warranty, I don't want to shell out alot of money to fix it.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 02 Sep 2004, 03:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Going from neutral to drive, drive to neutral, which is loading and unloading the transmission while moving is NOT a good idea. The owners manual recommends using '3' as needed on upgrades, and downgrades.
Old 03 Sep 2004, 08:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AlmondTurbo

Going from neutral to drive, drive to neutral, which is loading and unloading the transmission while moving is NOT a good idea. The owners manual recommends using '3' as needed on upgrades, and downgrades.
Tend to agree. Going from D to N isn't the issue, it's when you go back to D that your're slamming the transmission.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Sep 2004, 11:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Would I be slamming the trans if I downshifted using Autostick?

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 03 Sep 2004, 12:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

The Autostick is designed to be used like a 'stick'. It will not go into a 'gear' that is too low, until you reach a speed that is safe for the transmission. The Autostick, as well as the standard automatic, is designed to protect itself while giving you more manual control.
Old 09 Sep 2004, 09:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Even with a warranty-brakes are cheaper than a new tranny.Also,someone can do the math,but how many miles would you have to drive gaining an extra mpg to equal the cost/hassle of a new tranny?
Why take a chance.
Old 09 Sep 2004, 03:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

What about shifting into Neutral with an Automatic tranny at a stop light?

I have noticed a small change in the RPM when doing this in other cars but not so much in the PT.

The way I think, it would put less strain and everything using less gas because of not wanting to move forward?

Thoughts?
Old 10 Sep 2004, 11:45 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

my grandpa used to do that at every stoplight. dont think it makes much difference.
in europe they are using start stop technology where the engine is shut off automatically when the vehicle stops then is started up again when it is time to go to reduce emmissions. this is the way we are heading once cars use 48volt electronics and a combination starter/generator acceleration assist at the flywheel. kind of like a hybrid vehicle.