checking into the prices for custom
ones seems steep for the merchandise
you recieve.....

maybe I'm over reacting.....

just wondering.............
Old 01 Sep 2004, 02:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

yeah its super easy as long as you get the good ones. Blanes Hood Struts are the best out there. Search for it on google. they are about $129 for regular and go up from there if you want chrome or custom painted.
Old 01 Sep 2004, 07:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with you. Parts are worth about $35 - tops - you can buy the Struts at an auto store, and there's not much in the brackets. I saw someone on PTE that did it - fabricated brackets from angle you can get from a home center. I'd love to see someone with a cheaper kit. I don't mind someone making a profit, but the margin on these is HUGE.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Sep 2004, 09:13 am
Cool Cruiser

I installed Blane's Hood Struts, and it's the only mod I've done.

As with anything else, the value of something is not how much it costs to make, but how much people are willing to pay for it. Take bottled water for example.

The value of Blane's struts is not in the material, but in the labor and engineering that went in to putting them together. You could probably make them yourself, but there would probably be several attempts of trial and error before you got the clearances right, and I'm sure this stuff is always harder than it seems.

Consider the amount of time it would take to put that all together and decide whether it's worth it for you.

http://www.pbase.com/robinjoe/pt_cruiser
Old 01 Sep 2004, 09:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Blane's struts was the first mod I did!!! Wished I had had them before I slammed the hood down on the hood prop the first time. I felt they were inexpensive, and I don't have access to the proper equipment to fabricate my own.
Old 01 Sep 2004, 11:45 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Agree with you. Parts are worth about $35 - tops - you can buy the Struts at an auto store, and there's not much in the brackets. I saw someone on PTE that did it - fabricated brackets from angle you can get from a home center. I'd love to see someone with a cheaper kit. I don't mind someone making a profit, but the margin on these is HUGE.
A huge profit but how much is doing it wrong and bending your hood. Most of the struts that our out there don't work well so I'm glad I have the good ones ( Blanes )
Old 01 Sep 2004, 01:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

i have the moss ones (didn't know about blane when i got em!). very easy to install, took about an hour total. only problem was where one bracket attaches to the hood, there is an odd part that you insert into a hole in the hood. of course, it went thru the hole and quickly fell into a place i could not get it out. have heard others had the same problem, and that blane's do not use this method. agree with others that this mod is worth the price, especially when you consider the time and expense of having your hood repaired. also, seems they are always getting a little cheaper (i paid 50 bucks more than they cost at moss now!?!?!).
Old 01 Sep 2004, 01:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Blane's is the way to go. For none mechanical types like us they are worth every $. They went on easy and have work beautifuly. They have been on for about a year. My service guy at our dealership gets a big grin on his face whenever he opens our hood.
Old 01 Sep 2004, 01:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Money well spent. The Blane struts are one of the best mods I've installed on my cruiser.

http://ptcw.truckmoxie.com/mygallery.ten?id=3466
Old 01 Sep 2004, 06:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have Blain's on both Cruiser's. No complaints

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)