Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
think it would sell?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Sep 2004, 12:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default think it would sell?

with all the talk about pt sales, declining interest, and a new no A/C base model, i started thinking maybe there is something else DC could do to pump up sales. whatta think?[:I]
1) start with a very base model, that still has A/C and other basic neccesities. offer that in the 4 door sedan or a new coupe (not the coupe pictured on this forum, but one with the same profile and function as the sedan). base price 13 to 14 K
2) model comes with one engine and transmission. the GT 2.4L TURBO and five speed (or autostick, whatever would sell better). know the bean counters at DC would suggest the turbo lite, but hey, this is my dream too?!!? not trying to offend GT owners, just think it is a great engine and great for marketing (like when ford used to put the GT engine in the LX mustang, a performance bargain!).
3) offer option packages like scion dealers do. the packages should be as inexpensive as possible, installed by the dealer in a few hours to a day, and covered under warranty. they could include things like engine upgrades, suspension lowering or tire upgrades, graphics packages (flames, carbon fiber woodies, whatever), and cool stereo upgrades like mp3 players or ipod stations.
the idea is that for 15 to 16K, a person could walk out the door with options they really want, and a car that will leave all the others in this price range (including mustangs) in the dirt. i think that would be more exciting than a basic no A/C PT, and a great way to get more people, especially younger people, into the cruiser.
Old 03 Sep 2004, 12:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Chrysler might be looking at a stripped down entry-level PT as a really, really blank canvas. Your idea about personalizing kits is a good one.
Old 03 Sep 2004, 02:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think the idea is good - just the other day I was thinking of the huge market D-C (and others) is missing - offer engine choices (without tying the GT engine to GT options), grill choices, wheel & tire choices, ride height choices - basically put some of the mod stuff in dealer's hands, and don't rape us on prices or you won't sell any.
I for one would've paid the extra difference to get tires I wanted versus the good-for-a-years.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Sep 2004, 11:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Better idea --- make the two door panel truck.

Don aka Basset Hound

Pics at: http://members4.clubphoto.com/don284358/
Old 05 Sep 2004, 12:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Problem is, dealers don't want to have to buy, or get stuck with huge inventories of expensive parts.....thats why a lot of the parts you buy from them have to be ordered. The storage space required is also a consideration.

But this would be cool.....

THE PT DEPOT!

Come visit us at your PT Depot, in the engine dept this week, we have $100 off turbo lites, and you performance minded-lead footed people will definetly fall in love with our 225 hp turbo prices! The interior dept has your basic taupe or slate grey accents (leather extra), or try the new Dream Cruiser colors! Whether you're looking for race-track performance or a budget minded purchase, our tire dept has got you covered. Audio?! have we got Audio! Cds, CDs/Cassette Am! FM! Satellite!! Subwoofers and even Navigation units!! It's all here waiting for you at the PT DEPOT!!!!
Old 05 Sep 2004, 01:42 am
Cool Cruiser

It's been an idea that's been tossed around. I suggested a strip down GT version awhile ago, but the real problem boils down if the PT can attract younger buyers.

It's really a uphill battle to attract younger buyers to the PT, I go to allow of drag races and import car meets and PT isn't high on the list as must have rides, let alone if people even know that there is a turbo model out there. In addition, even if people know the GT's are fast, they dont get alot of respect due to its handling and reliability due to its afiliation as an "American" car.

The aftermarket support for the GT cruisers are pretty non-existent, and I find it a turn-off for me to even lightly modify my cruiser. There are days I wish I stayed with Honda or Toyota due to factory aftermaket support that RETAINS warranty. (Hello, DCX this has been said 1,000 times --- Yes, I'm a 28 year-old asian rice kid!)

The idea is great, but DCX needs to wake up to a few things here:

1. Learn to support your aftermarket products, its not the 60's anymore. Times have CHANGED.

2. There is plenty of of japanese car makers to learn from. Don't take a genius to figure out what they are doing right. In some cases, its just too obvious..........

3. Hell, I'll take sponsorships for DCX, I need some stickers to stick on my windows to help the PT along!
Old 05 Sep 2004, 03:19 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Chrysler looks like it's trying for the youth and/or 1st time car buyers. But when you compare a PT ($13,405 with alarm, power windows/locks) to...say a Scion xB that comes with ABS, Traction Control, A/C, Alarm, CD Player, Power windows/locks, etc. for $13,654, there really isn't a comparison. People are looking for the most bang for the buck as well as style, reliability, fun factor, fit and finish, and gas mileage.

Look at some of the Accessories you can get for the Scion from the factory/dealer:
http://www.scion.com/drive/accessori...ery/index.html
Lowering springs, FIPK, quick shifters, strut bars, performance clutch, shocks, body kits, etc. If installed by the dealer, they are all covered under the basic bumper-to-bumper warranty.
Old 05 Sep 2004, 04:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:say a Scion xB that comes with ABS, Traction Control, A/C, Alarm, CD Player, Power windows/locks, etc. for $13,654, there really isn't a comparison
Yeah, but then after getting all that, you still gotta drive that UGLY car!!!!
Old 05 Sep 2004, 01:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Chrysler want to increase their Sales? Stand behind their product, settle decently with the owners who are dealing with the unsightly tape marks on bumpers, and treat the customer like he was someone. Not just a jerk who dropped in to spend his hard earned money, then kick his ass out the door.[8]

Best Sales Incentive, WORD OF MOUTH, AND GOOD PRODUCT.

You can find more pictures here, Updated Sept 11/04 http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/584887

Old 08 Sep 2004, 01:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SRG

Quote:
quote:say a Scion xB that comes with ABS, Traction Control, A/C, Alarm, CD Player, Power windows/locks, etc. for $13,654, there really isn't a comparison
Yeah, but then after getting all that, you still gotta drive that UGLY car!!!!
A lot of people think the PT is ugly, too. So they look and say, hmmm... ugly car with no options or unique car with tons of standard features for the same money and much better mileage and Toyota's reputation for quality... what to do what to do...

2003 Classic Edition, 5-speed with 7-ball shift knob, badges removed, dark tint, Borla split exit exhaust, short billett antenna, Nu-Image white-faced blue flamed gauges and 15\" American Racing Aero Wheels.