Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bumper tape marks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2004, 03:48 am
Young Cruiser

Default Bumper tape marks

The tape marks on my bumpers have gotten really pronounced in the past month so went to my dealer to see if they would replace them.No problem they said,however,the service manager said they had just replaced another customers bumper and the new bumper came from the factory all taped up with tape marks showing after being unwrapped.He further stated that there was a very good chance that I would have the same trouble.Anyone else get new bumpers and have the tape marks re-appear?Why would Chrysler still put the damn tape on if they know it will damage the bumper.Now I don't know what to do.
Is there any way to get the resins out of the bumper without damaging the surface?
Old 10 Sep 2004, 07:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That's incredible! How dumb is that? I always wondered what the tape was holding on, anyway - if it was a plastic protective cover, shouldn't the tape be on the plastic and not the bumper?
I would take the new ones - you'll be no worse off. I find applications of "back to black" hide it for a while.
Another alternative is to ask dealer if they'd paint yours body color instead.....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Sep 2004, 08:25 am
Young Cruiser

From what I understand, the bumper were taped at the factory, so when installed, would protect from overspray when the fascia is painted. Seems there is something in the adhesive in the tape, that reacts with the UV protectant in the bumper. That's why the longer the bumper is exposed, the lighter the marks become.

My dealer took one look at it and said they would repaint, but the same matte finish as before. Fine with me! I thought asking for body color, but figured since it's the BUMP-per that with my luck, it would get bumped enough to scratch some color off, down to the original grey and look bad. This way, if it does get scratched, there isn't a different color underneath.

I have read that some people have had problems with the marks coming through the paint... I will deal with that later should it happen.

Meanwhile, the nice guys at the dealership are helping me out again. I also have the peeling chrome on the wheel... My new set of wheels (the ones on the Dream Cruiser!) should be in some time next week!!
Old 10 Sep 2004, 10:15 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The body shop at my dealer said he has replaced a number of fascias and has not seen the tape marks re-appear. He did tell me the early replacement fascias were masked off with a yellow plastic tape from the manufacturer and my set was the first he had seen with blue tape.
A friends PT had the fascias replaced due to his 2002 being rear ended
when it was less than a year old and those fascias now have tape marks. I hope I got the new and improved version.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 10 Sep 2004, 12:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

as i understand it, the gray bumpers are made the same way today as they have always been, with the same tape and the chemical reaction it causes. so i would expect any new gray ones to develop tape marks. as i learned from my tape mark experience and posted before, cover or paint (sand, prime, and paint!) them if you really want them fixed. while my dealer said he had not seen marks on new ones, he agreed that there was a chance it would happen, so he painted mine. why take the chance and have to go thru this again?!?!
Old 10 Sep 2004, 04:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to BORICUA

You can always ask if they would paint them, they gave me that choice when i took mine in for the same problem.[?]

Old 11 Sep 2004, 04:04 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for all the advice,I'll ask if they will paint them.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 09:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

They will paint the bumpers but will not
cover the warranty if they start to chip
and peel. I had mine replaced and when the
new ones came in, there was no tape on them.
(I know the guy that did the work)
But when they were painted, the tape had to
come off right away. It is the chemical in
the glue that does it. Keep complaining, that
is what I had to do. Also, say thanks to stirfry.
He's the one that brought this to attention.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does you car have to be under warranty for this to be covered? I have a 2001 with 57K on it with tape marks on both bumpers.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 05:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quoteoes you car have to be under warranty for this to be covered?
sorry to say yes. there is a new TSB that was designed to fix the problem, and involves using a paint the same color as the gray to remove and cover the marks. should only take a couple of hours. only problem, it says it follows the same guidelines as the warranty. so if your warranty is expired, this TSB may not help either!?!?![:I]