Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine paint.-

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2004, 02:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Engine paint.-

Some of you have painted your engine covers(or whatever) to match the car. Whats the best brand of paint?[:I]
Old 10 Sep 2004, 02:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's called the "Vanity" cover and I had mine done professinally in "Viper Red" along with the tower strut bar to match. Did the hood latch myself.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 05:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

It's called the "Vanity" cover and I had mine done professinally in "Viper Red" along with the tower strut bar to match. Did the hood latch myself.

And who does this kinda work? Paint shops i take it?

Old 10 Sep 2004, 07:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

CREWZIN, how did you paint your lower hood latch? Did you leave it on the car & brush the paint on? I took my latch off to look at it to consider spraying it, but I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the cable (I assume it's the hood relase cable) that's attached to it.

John
Old 10 Sep 2004, 10:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mr. Bareton,

Yes, An automotive paint shop. I used the same shop for the mirrors, bumpers rear spoiler and flames. They also just finished painting my Vette.

Jlsl1081, I took the top one off and spray painted it. The bottom was done by hand as I didn't want to take the hood cable off. []

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 11:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

I bought a spray can of Chrysler's touch-up paint, put 3 coasts on the top of the modesty cover, and 2 on bottom, then put about 6 coats of clear coat over it, oh, and the lettering was done with a gold paint pen, before clear coating.

I crazy-glued the rubber mounts to the cover before I painted it.

SRG

Old 21 Sep 2004, 12:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I am a DIY kinda gal. Painted most of mine myself, with the exception of the mural. I used Krylon Mirage color-change paint. It's held up well over 4 years & 70K miles. I did recently re-clear my Modesty cover, as it was getting a bit rough looking. No problems at all with it, just washed it in Dawn & dried it well before reshooting the paint. I cleaned the intake runners with 99% Isopropyl alcohol & a zillion Q-Tips.. I also used a paint pen for accenting.Everything except the modesty cover was left in the engine to paint. I just masked it off really well & used a cheapo plastic drop cloth to protect the entire car.
[8]