PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Terrible Gas Mileage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2004, 01:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade
Default Terrible Gas Mileage

I know I should search and everything, but I already did. I got about 15 miles to the gallon last fill-up. I cant be sure though, cause I dont have a credit card, but I only got 140 miles when 3/4 of the tank was gone. (Im filling up a the quarter tank line now thanks to mx-5's and other people's experience with it.) I have a k&n, both silencers removed, and a less restrictive muffler. I do have to idle for about 10 minutes a day, because I have to wait to pick my brother up from school. How much does that waste? I also revved the engine alot during that fill up, what about that? Will better spark plugs and wires help?
Old 13 Sep 2004, 04:11 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

I was averaging about 22-24 MPG, mostly city and some highway driving. I normally fill up at a BP Amocco. I recently started using Speedway (Contains 10% Ethenol), since it was closer and the gas was the cheapest I found. After 2 fillups (not all the way full), I was getting about 16-19 MPG. At that time, I also removed the silencer (the white piece). At any time, did I drive too hard to get such low mileage. So to eliminate the possibilities, I put the silencer back on and filled up with gas from another station, which did not state their gas contained any Ethenol. So far, I am getting my normal good MPG of 22-24.

I do not think the removal of the silencer or not filling the tank all the way full caused the low mileage, but the fuel containing Ethanol. I thought I remembered reading fuels containing ethenol would cause such low mileage.

I will continue this experiment of using fuel not containing any ethenol/methenol. I will also remove the silencer again next week just to make sure my experiment is stable. I do not want to change too many factors.

Just my 2 cents

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 13 Sep 2004, 10:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

oh, well i guess i should check that out then
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)
Old 13 Sep 2004, 11:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Some simple tips:

1. The more you use the A/C, the more gas is used.
2. Have proper inflation of the tires.
3. Driving faster than 65 MPH most likely will kill your gas milage.
4. Find routes that you don't have to go up a hill.
5. Avoid fast starts (you know who you are when you step on that gas!)
6. Clean you car regularly, and don't carry junk in your car UNLESS you live in it!
7. Try differnt gas stations.
8. Avoid going to the 1/4 mile track.
9. If you carpool, don't expect that milage to be good.
10. Remove your rear seats, if your really crazy, remove your spare tire and jacks.

Things to avoid doing for better gas milage, but can't resist doing anyways:

1. Do not put on body kits, woodies, extras etc. UNLESS you don't care about gas milage. This includes boomers and things that actually beat db ratings of a Boeing 747.

2. To plainly put it, don't put anything in the car that adds weight.

Somethings that MIGHT help gas milage.

1. Better intake.
2. Better exhaust.
3. Lighter rims and tires.
4. Better suspension/struts/and springs (the whole combo here).
5. Spark Plug and Ignitions wires, maybe............
6. Better quality of oil and oil filters.
7. Change out tranny fluids and coolant - Don't expect this to change the gas milage, but running dirty stuff isnt good either.

Old 14 Sep 2004, 08:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Idling your car for 10 minutes a day will definatly reduce MPH!!!
Just got back from the Blue Ridge Parkway Cruise and I got 22-25 MPG, gunning up hills and gearing down coming down.

On one point on the highway we got 30.8 MPG at 70 MPH with A/C running. Very pleased as we have almost 30K on the car. Have AiRaid air filter, changed to MOPAR Preformance plug wires and new plugs at 25K.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 Sep 2004, 01:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have a remote starter, and in the winter, I use it. The car runs for up to 10 minutes and warms up before I get in it.

I find that it hits you to the tune af 3 - 4mpg.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 08:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

PTGTBoy gave good tips. Tops on my list is tire pressure and rate of speed.
While you are idling, you are getting ZERO MPG. Why don't you shut it off?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Sep 2004, 08:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

cause its still 110 here in AZ, and I wait for my brother to get out of school.
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)
Old 10 Oct 2011, 02:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Terrible Gas Mileage

Idling hardly uses any gas. Ten minutes a day will do almost nothing to your mpg's. The engine uses the gas already in the engine to idle, so your not really taking anything out of your tank. I used to freak out about idling, but my boyfriend who is a mechanic says its nothing to freak out about...
Old 10 Oct 2011, 03:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Terrible Gas Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGT_Boy View Post
Some simple tips:

1. The more you use the A/C, the more gas is used.
2. Have proper inflation of the tires.
3. Driving faster than 65 MPH most likely will kill your gas milage.
4. Find routes that you don't have to go up a hill.
5. Avoid fast starts (you know who you are when you step on that gas!)
6. Clean you car regularly, and don't carry junk in your car UNLESS you live in it!
7. Try differnt gas stations.
8. Avoid going to the 1/4 mile track.
9. If you carpool, don't expect that milage to be good.
10. Remove your rear seats, if your really crazy, remove your spare tire and jacks.

Things to avoid doing for better gas milage, but can't resist doing anyways:

1. Do not put on body kits, woodies, extras etc. UNLESS you don't care about gas milage. This includes boomers and things that actually beat db ratings of a Boeing 747.

2. To plainly put it, don't put anything in the car that adds weight.

Somethings that MIGHT help gas milage.

1. Better intake. No help
2. Better exhaust. No help
3. Lighter rims and tires. Expensive. Will take a long time to get back that money spent
4. Better suspension/struts/and springs (the whole combo here). No help
5. Spark Plug and Ignitions wires, maybe............Stock plugs and aftermarket wires are good, but will not increase mpg
6. Better quality of oil and oil filters. No help
7. Change out tranny fluids and coolant - Don't expect this to change the gas milage, but running dirty stuff isnt good either.
Yep, good thing, but no mpg help

Spending a lot of money and getting no mpg help. Keep it simple. Have a good tune, proper tire inflation, use good driving habits and don't carry extra weight. If you have to go start stripping out seats and stuff just sell the PT and buy a Honda.