PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Catch Can

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2004, 12:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie
Default Oil Catch Can

I'm thinking of installing an oil catch can. I think I know where to install one between the fitting on the cylinder head and the airbox, but there also needs to be another fitting on the passenger side of the head which feeds into the intake manifold. I was wondering where this is. Can someone place a pic? I don't know much about cars, but I'm learning. Looking at photos of the catch cans, they look very simple to install. Are they? Do they require special tools? The oil that is collected, can they be reused in the car? Looking at this photo, I see 2 connections. Can I use 1 catch can for both fittings mentioned above? Looking at the Greddy Oil Catch Can, there are 2 sizes, a 9mm & 15mm, which one would I need on my '04 PT GT?
Old 13 Sep 2004, 01:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you are using the stock airbox there is no need to place a catch can between it and the cylinder head - the stock airbox essentially acts as a catch can.

The other side of the PCV system is actually more important as it moves a larger volume of oil and dumps it straight into the intake manifold. Facing the engine look on the extreme left side and you will notice a fitting with a hose running around to the back of the engine and connecting to the back side of the intake manifold. The hose is made with an almost 90 degree bend toward the back side. This is the line where you'd either want to splice in a catch can or inline filter to intercept that oil. By the way, the picture you posted is of a typical catch can with an input and output line plus a sight glass so you can see how much oil you've collected. I suppose you could reuse oil collected in a catch can - heck, it would be dumped into the intake manifold and burned otherwise - but for some reason it just seems wrong to me!

Getting back to the line that normally dumps into the stock airbox: It is very common for people to connect this line to a fitting on a cold air intake which bypasses or replaces the stock airbox. This is not a good idea as this line is actually an air makeup line and most of the time it actually draws air INTO the cylinder! It only expells air and oil when the turbo motors are under boost, which is why you see the oil collecting in the bottom of the airbox. If you connect this to the intake not only will you be dumping that oil into the turbo impeller (may or may not be so bad - I've heard arguments both ways) but you will circumvent the lines' primary function, that of an air makeup line! Air being sucked through the intake will rush past this little fitting, creating a vacuum against it (albeit a small one), which you DO NOT WANT! Bernouli's Principle and all that you see. Bottom line for the PCV system on the drivers side of the car: no need for a catch can if you have the stock airbox, and you're probably better off using a breather element if you have an aftermarket CAI (although your local emissions testing folks probably won't like it!)
Old 13 Sep 2004, 06:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks Mike. So the Greddy catch can has an input and output line. Where does the output line go to? Or is it just used for air to expell through?

As I mentioned before, I don't really know much about cars, so I am learning. So I don't know what the intake manifold looks like or where it is located. So if you can provide a pic or maybe point out in one of the photos here, I would appreciate it.

BTW, I am thinking of replacing the CAI with an aftermarket, so I will definitely need one there.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 13 Sep 2004, 07:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

The PCV valve goes from the passenger side of the engine to the intake manifold. Connect the PCV line to the input line of the Greddy catch can. Connect the output line of the catch can to the intake manifold.

Scott
Old 14 Sep 2004, 08:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Most of the info you are looking for, you can find at www.PTDYI.com. The cost to join is well worth the money.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 14 Sep 2004, 10:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

OK Eddie, here's the line you should be looking for: it is circled in blue here.

I couldn't find any place to mount the catch can on that side of the car so I mounted it on the other side using the stock airbox mounting point to attach the bracket. I ran a line from the fitting on the top of the engine, as shown above, around the backside and into the catch can. The other line runs from the catch can back to the original fitting on the back of the intake manifold - same place the original line fed to.

The red fittings on either side of the catch can are where the PCV lines attach. The black fitting is the top fitting for the sight glass.

Hope this helps.

Old 15 Sep 2004, 03:28 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks everyone for being patient with me

Another question. Since you have to periodically empty them out, are they hard to remove? Would I have to unscrew everything and disconnect the fittings and remove the whole catch catn? Or is there a quick release with a simple canister to remove and empty?

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 15 Sep 2004, 05:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a little oil in the airbox as being problematic. If anything, it might actually help catch some dust and debri that gets sucked into the box... sort of like the oil bath air cleaners of the early 50s.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 05:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by andym

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a little oil in the airbox as being problematic. If anything, it might actually help catch some dust and debri that gets sucked into the box... sort of like the oil bath air cleaners of the early 50s.
True, it will not be a problem using the stock airbox, but I plan to use an CAI. Without an oil catch can, the oil will go just expell towards the CAI and make it look messy. Of course, if I go with an AIRAID® GT-Turbo Cold-Air Intake System, I still use the lower half of the factory airbox and still retain the fitting to the cylinder head.

Old 16 Sep 2004, 12:39 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I don't want this getting overlooked...

Since you have to periodically empty them out, are they hard to remove? Would I have to unscrew everything and disconnect the fittings and remove the whole catch catn? Or is there a quick release with a simple canister to remove and empty?