PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anyone install their own Mopar hitch receiver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Oct 2004, 12:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie
Default Anyone install their own Mopar hitch receiver?

I will be getting my Mopar hitch receiver tomorrow. Not too many shops here will install it, since it's something they do not sell, and they would be liable for any damages from the install. I did find a shop, but they are charging about $100 to install it. To help ease my wallet, I may install it myself. I have read that it's a simple bolt on installation, but I'm wondering how "simple" is simple. Here are some of my questions...

1. Do I have to remove the rollpan?
2. Are all the necessary hardware (bolts, washers, etc.) included so I could just bolt the thing on? Can one person do the install or a must to have 2 people, like 2 hold up one end while bolting on the other end?

My BTG dual exhaust should also arrive tomorrow, but judging from the looks, it might be easier install the hitch receiver first before the exhaust.
Old 06 Oct 2004, 08:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

I had my DrawTite hitch installed but it seemed pretty straight foward. I would back my car up on ramps and use a floor jack and some wood or plywood because it might be kind of tough holding it up by yourself to start the bolts. Not sure about roll pan though.

Gonz
Old 06 Oct 2004, 12:51 pm
Young Cruiser

The Mopar OEM hitch is a cinch to install. It is easier with two people though. You will also need a set of ramps so you can get the rear end up where you can work on it comfortably.

The instructions with the hitch are very easy to follow. You basically just drop the muffler off the rear mount so you can get the hitch frame up and over it (WD-40 helps); remove the four shipping tie down bolts from the frame railes; line up the hitch over these mounting holes; then replace the mounting bolts.

The reason this is a two people job is the hitch is a tight fit, so you'll need to "stretch" it a little to get it to fit over the two frame rails. A good rubber mallet and a hydraulic jack are a big help here, too. Use the jack to push the hitch up and hold it in place while you re-install the mounting bolts.

The hitch fits in tight behind the rollpan and is almost invisible when installed. It looks a lot better than the "hidden hitch" brand receiver hitch I had installed on my 2002 PT, and my OEM luggage rack fits in tighter to the rear bumper for a better fit, too. Looks really nice!

NOW - installing the wiring harness is another story! It takes a LOT longer since it goes under the carpet inside the car all the way up to plug in under the dash. I'm waiting for a weekend with nothing else to do before I tackle that step.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/578198
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/DreamWeaver/
Old 06 Oct 2004, 01:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Oops, one more thing. You definately want to install the hitch BEFORE you install the exhaust, since you'll just have to drop BOTH exhaust pipes to get the hitch in over the top of them. When double the work.

Since you are replacing the exhaust, you might as well just pull out the stock exhaust first; install the hitch; then install the exhaust. If you're using a muffler shop, ask them to help you install the hitch while you've got the car up on the lift. It'll be a lot quicker, too, if you've got an impact wrench available to take off and re-install the mounting bolts.

Shouldn't take more than 15-20 mintues to install the hitch. It took an hour to install my Borla Duals last weekend, but I think half that time was spent lining up the template to cut the roll pan for the second exhaust tip (I had a real perfectionist for an installer).
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/578198
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/DreamWeaver/
Old 06 Oct 2004, 01:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Great! Thanks! I'll see if I can get a buddy of mine to help. He's a tech at an Audi dealer and has access to a lift & better tools than I do.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 06 Oct 2004, 07:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Mine was spliced into the rear tailight harness with in-line splices. Is pretty simple.

Gonz
Old 06 Oct 2004, 10:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks everyone! A friend of mine help me do the install of the hitch and the Borla Dual exhausts and it was no problem. The longest part was actually removing the old exhaust. Saved myself $165 ($100 for the hitch, $65 for the exhaust). I love Mopar stuff since they fit PERFECT! I have easy access to my spare, which was the one thing I was worried about.

I'm glad, got most of my mods installed (Airade CAI, Borlas, Hitch, Window Deflectors, Rebel hood struts, TYC Backup, TYC Tail lights, etc.) all in one day. When I told him that I forgot to bring my Mopar BOV, he was disappointed. He wanted to put those on to hear how my car sounds. I guess I'll bring those in next week when I get my Eibach anti sway bars in.

I'll update my profile with my mods along with my Cardomain and PTCruiserWorld profile later. I'm starving right now, so I'll get something to eat first before I do.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>