PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rear windows rattle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2004, 05:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Default rear windows rattle

Does anyone elses rear windows rattle if the window is down 2 to 4''from the top. I really never drove with those windows cracked, my daughter did it today and it was rattling around. Any help would be appreciated[:I]
Old 04 Dec 2004, 06:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

My rear windows don't rattle when they are down 2-4" but my front windows have ever since I changed to M-3 type mirrors.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 05 Dec 2004, 05:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

with the windows in certain positions there is severe buffeting
sounds like a helicopter right over the car. got so bad i thought it was going to either pop my ears or my back window. if you have a sunroof you will notice that with the auto-open function it does not open all the way. this is because of poor design, if you were to open the sunroof all the way and go about 40-45 you will be amazed at the buffeting.

anyway the windows do move it is only rubber holding them even if it is closed and you push on it it will move.
Old 05 Dec 2004, 06:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RallyDRock

if you have a sunroof you will notice that with the auto-open function it does not open all the way. this is because of poor design, if you were to open the sunroof all the way and go about 40-45 you will be amazed at the buffeting.
My 2001 PT's sunroof opened all the way. One button press opened it like the current one's do, and second press opened it all the way. The buffeting was bad, but if I cracked open the driver side window a alittle bit, it all went away. It's because of the shape of the car, and design of the interior cabin.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 06 Dec 2004, 12:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I was assuming that Gonzo was referring to a rattle rather than buffeting. Buffeting is a MAJOR problem in PT's. Open any one window and your ear drums will be in danger. Open a second window and 90% of the problem will go away.

As far as the rattle in the rear windows, if it is a rattle rather than buffeting, that is not normal.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 06 Dec 2004, 10:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

i went off on a buffeting tangent there, was just thinking that the windows may have been moved back and forth by the air pressure causing a rattling sound.
Old 06 Dec 2004, 03:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mine make what could be interpreted as a rattle in that position. It is not buffetting as it does it even at low speed as I drive though my neigborhood and hit the cobblestone strips that serve as speed bumps. I found that it was more that the glass was "ticking" in the window rails. I spayed some dry lube silicon spray on the track and it solved the problem. Unfortunately the sound returned several months later. I guess this will have to be a normal maintenance item for me in the future.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come