Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT or Chevy HHR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2005, 12:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT or Chevy HHR?

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum, looking for advice on a new car. My pal has a 03 PT and I really like it. I was thinking about picking one up in the spring, but today I found images of the new HHR chevy is coming out with and it think it looks cool! Very similar to the PT, but it looks a bit larger. I know you guys all love your PTs but what do you think about this thing? I may have to wait and test drive it before I make up my mind. Here is a link to some i found.

http://www.gmenthusiast.com/gallery/...ow2005/hhr.php
Old 12 Jan 2005, 12:17 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

I would test-drive both and come to a conclusion... I think the HHR will have more of a SUV feel, while the Crusier will have more of a car Feel.

Old 12 Jan 2005, 01:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Does your friend have a PT GT or a non-turbo? If you like the turbo you might not be so fond of the HHR - it's biggest engine only makes 170HP, which is less even than a PT with the Turbo Lite (180HP) and pales compared to a GT (220HP). Add Stage 1 to the PT for $350 and it's game over for a long, long time.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 02:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

Wow, that's weird how the two look the same, hey? It's like they were designed by the same person. Like, GM almost offered the guy that designed the PT to work for them to make a vehicle that had a following like the PT. Hey, wait, hold on. That DID happen. But then you are gonna end up with a GM and their "entry level" cost cutting.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 12 Jan 2005, 04:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Please...
Look at the Chevy, nothing like the lines of the PT. Basically, an SUV version of the SSR truck, nothing like th PT except a 4 door. The PT broke the mold, Chevy just trying to catch up. Maybe I'm a little biased, but I bet there are more than a few out there that will agree with me.[?]
Old 12 Jan 2005, 09:08 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

The SSR is a completly differnt platform.... but they are both styled after the trucks of that era.

Old 12 Jan 2005, 09:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your call, but the front of the HHR looks like a Dodge ram pickup to me, and the back like a Mazda, but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Notice that curb weight is TBD - bet it's heavier than a PT (It's longer) so, with 140 or 170HP, it'll be a slug.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Jan 2005, 12:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

It depends on what you're looking for. It won't have the performance potential of a GT or Turbo "light". I don't think it will be quite the slug that others think it will be though. With the 170HP version it would have 20HP more than a base PT, and some people are satisfied with that. It'll take a test drive to determine how it performs merging with traffic (or what your acceptance level is).

One thing I like is how the seats appear to tuck better. I hate removing the rear seats in the PT although I'm glad I can when needed. The Honda Element has seats that fold up to the sides which is also nice.

I personally like it, but I would still buy the GT because I like more HP than is really necessary. Now if they slap a turbo or supercharger on it...
Old 12 Jan 2005, 01:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?[:I] PT[8)]

flames&stripes by \"gator\" 2003 milan dragway \"chrysler classic\" winner
Old 12 Jan 2005, 03:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

If you are seriously looking at buying one of these, test drive both, and PRICE them. Bet the first year supply and dealer markup will make the HRR more expensive. First year of anything is an iffy proposition. It will come down to which meets your needs, likes and budget. My vote is PT, but it's not my money.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper