Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Super Cruiser (Crazy Idea?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2005, 03:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Super Cruiser (Crazy Idea?)

I had a crazy idea. Since DC may have a hard time putting a V6 into the current PT platform, why not use the Chrysler Sebring platform, enlarge the PT body style to fit, slap in the V6 and call it the "Super Cruiser". If it's not already RWD, they can do that too. Good idea, bad idea? Open for discussion!
Old 08 Feb 2005, 04:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

Super cruiser concept car

2.4t 300hp FWD

a v6 would add weight and although it is what owners seem to want it would add weight to an already heavy car. not sure if there will be a v6 once it is on that mitsubishi platform 2006-2008
Old 08 Feb 2005, 04:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Who needs a V6 when you can have a TURBO 4? In my own opinion I think that a turbocharged motor just has a higher fun factor than a V6.
For example take the GenII Eclipse vs. GenIII Eclipse. GenII had a 210hp Turbo 4 and was an absolute blast to drive and they sold tons of them. When they went to the GenIII with the V6 it lost it's "fun factor" and now they can't give them away.

A V6 might be a little smoother and quiter on the highway but will lack the fun (and oh so cool whine) of the Turbo.[8)]

Just my .02
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)
Old 08 Feb 2005, 06:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

What Mitsubishi platform will they use for the new PT? Is there a link to an article about it?
Old 08 Feb 2005, 07:15 pm
Young Cruiser

The rumors that I have heard is that the PT and the Neon replacment will share a platform with the next Mits. Lancer. (My information comes from buddies at the Dodge Chrysler dealership that I use work at)

The question that arises in my mind is: Mid last year Mitsubishi was in so much financial trouble that Damiler Chrysler which ownes something like 33% of Mits. pulled all funding and said that they were not going to put any more money into the company. I would really like to know how this is going to effect the program since I am shopping the SRT-4 [:I]
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)
Old 08 Feb 2005, 08:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

Why would you want a sebring platform on a PT. Especially if you use the same v6. Those 2.7L suck. That is the rumor that they will share platforms (neon, pt) with the Mitsu, as a world car platform, but the PT wil lstay the same for the next couple of years with the redesign. The only reason they are stopping the neon is because they are closing the plant. The PT is based on the neon, but the PT is built in Mexico, because the neon plant was to short to pass a PT through.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 08 Feb 2005, 11:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

The PT is NOT "based on the Neon" We had a 97 Neon for 6 years, and own 2 PT's now. The Neon engine is a 2.0 liter, the PT 2.4. The Neon Auto transmission is a 3 speed, while the PT's auto transmission is a 4 speed electronic-controlled.

SRG
Old 08 Feb 2005, 11:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SRG

The PT is NOT "based on the Neon" We had a 97 Neon for 6 years, and own 2 PT's now. The Neon engine is a 2.0 liter, the PT 2.4. The Neon Auto transmission is a 3 speed, while the PT's auto transmission is a 4 speed electronic-controlled.

SRG
Sorry but I sold them for three years and it is built off of the Neon platform.
The engine is different in the states in some cases. The automatic trans the 2000
and up neon is the exact same as the PT 3 spd with a O/D. Just like almost every
"4 spd" auto trans.
Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)
Old 09 Feb 2005, 07:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ATLPTGT

Who needs a V6 when you can have a TURBO 4? In my own opinion I think that a turbocharged motor just has a higher fun factor than a V6.
For example take the GenII Eclipse vs. GenIII Eclipse. GenII had a 210hp Turbo 4 and was an absolute blast to drive and they sold tons of them. When they went to the GenIII with the V6 it lost it's "fun factor" and now they can't give them away.

A V6 might be a little smoother and quiter on the highway but will lack the fun (and oh so cool whine) of the Turbo.[8)]
Well said and Ditto[^]
There has only been one V-6 worth having and they stopped producing them in the 80's. They were the turboed V-6's in the Buicks (Nationals and Grand Nationals). No other V-6 that I know of has been mass produced to live at high HP levels. Our current turboed 4 cylinder was over-built and can be modified to produce 400-450 HP without breakage. Swapping out our pistons to forged units will raise the threshold up to 550 HP. The average V-6 being produced now is making less HP than our 4 cyls. equipped with Stage 1. Raising those same V-6's to the higher HP levels we can currently achieve with our turboed 4 will leave you with a pile of broken engine pieces laying on the highway.

If you HAVE to have something bigger than the 4 why settle on a V-6?
Go straight to the Hemi V-8 and be done with it![8)]

Deen

GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 09 Feb 2005, 07:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Mothers Polish has a 2.8L v6 installed form a dodge caravan. NOt much needed to be done to the modifcation. the car produces 220hp without mods. It is a tight fit. If a custom hood were added, S/c is a possiblity.