Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
MultiFunction Switch Issues-HELP !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Feb 2005, 09:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to jmack
Default MultiFunction Switch Issues-HELP !!!

I have read the previous post and I am utterly confused. I am still having an issue with my headlights. Today after work, my low beams wouldn't come on. I had to drive home on bright about halfway home, then they worked again. It is an ittermittent problem. All of my buddies here have suggested to replace the multifunction switch. Now here is my question?:

I removed the column cover and I tried to locate the multifunction switchand I don't think I want to remove that. Can someone please help me??. Needless to say, I am totally confused. Where is this part exactly? Can someone tell me geographically where this part is?(update, I know now the whole stalk is replaced) Is this switch like the entire two stalks and everything? Is that what comes off? The only torx screws I saw looked like they held the steering wheel on the column. Can someone please help? This is a big safety issue as I don't see how I can drive home from work with no headlights at night.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 09:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Put your left hand behind the steering wheel and grab the turn signal. You're holding it. It's the switch/stalk that controls all the lights. [8D]
Old 14 Feb 2005, 09:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Right, i guessed that, but I dont see any torx screws holding this damned thing in..HELP can anyone give me advice on where in the heck the screws are? How do you remove it? If any of you wonderful posters our there could post step by step on this, I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 14 Feb 2005, 10:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, try this thread and see if it helps ay...

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...unction,switch
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 12:37 am
Cool Cruiser

I read that post, but I am not sure where the 4 screws are. I saw 2 silver colored torx screws on the top, but I didnt' see 4 anywhere....
Old 15 Feb 2005, 05:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Jmack,
There may only be 4 screws total.It was over a year ago I did the fog light mod. 2 phillipshead and 2 torqx.Don'tforget to remove ground wire from battery.Its pretty stait forward. I believe the torxs connected the multifuction switch and the turn signal side together. If I get time I'll check my book.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 12:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Gonzo. I could really use the help. Im just a country boy trying to learn the ropes. I have learned a lot from you guys...I took it off last night and saw Two torx screws located right at the top of the column...is that those? Can anyone provide a pic? HELp!
Old 18 Feb 2005, 06:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Those are the screws you need to remove. When you do that the whole assembly will come loose. It is a very large part there are two wire connectors that have to be taken off. If you change the MF switch, don't for get to remove the flasher unit from the back of the MF switch and replace it on the new one.

IF you want pictures and all instructions from ptdiy.com. It costs $15 to join and is well worth the money.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 11:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thank you to everyone. Gonzomania has officially been named my PT hero on here. With his instructions, i had the thing off and on in like 2 minutes. thanks Gonzo!!!
Old 21 Feb 2005, 12:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Your welcome I learned alot from everybody else on here