Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Headliner Problems!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2005, 08:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Headliner Problems!!!

Has anyone experienced any headliner problems in their PT? I had the two retainer clips (towards the back of the headliner) replaced because they were bad and allowed the headliner to bounce up and down, making a terrible racket when it hit the sunroof assembly. Well, a few days after the fix, and the headliner is STILL hitting the sunroof assembly, although not as much (though still as loud!).

I went into the back, and there is a definite flex to the headliner. I'd love to go to a dealer and look at a new one to see if theirs does the same thing, but lately, all the PT's on my dealer's lot have been locked!?!?!

Please, if someone has had this issue, please tell me how it was fixed, so I can tell my dealer....they claim that the flex and noise related to it is 'normal operations' of the headliner....#&Q*%Q^*)Q%#!
Old 05 Mar 2005, 09:35 am
Fanatic Cruiser

no problem with mine.
Old 06 Mar 2005, 01:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

that is the fist I have hear of that problem

www.londontobayfield.com
Custom Hood Struts ,Mopar Stage 1 Turbo up Grade , Mopar BOV , Bassani duels , Airraid Cold Air Intake , APC body Kit , Billet Grill , APC tail Lights , GTO Pro Beam Headlight Covers, Chrome Bumper inserts , Chrome Door Inserts , Chrome dash eye brows , Chrome gas door , Chrome Antenna Bezel, Custom Flame Job By Yosemite Sam ,
Old 06 Mar 2005, 08:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your replies...

Can someone check to see if their headliner 'flexes'(if you push it) at the point where the 2nd seat passenger portion rises to give the passenger more headroom? This is where my problem is, and the dealer has claimed that this is 'normal'.

If there is something missing in my assembly, such as a retainer or something (the headliner HAS been removed by the dealer when it was new for the same problem), I want to know so I can tell the dealer to fix it. I hear the banging from the headliner when going over railroad tracks and higher speed bumps.

Thanks in advance for anything that can help me solve this problem!
Old 06 Mar 2005, 10:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

I don't have a sun roof but I've had my headliner out a few times.Its pretty easy to do. There are some styrofoam pieces glued to the underside of the roof (metal). maybe you could add a strip where you are talking about to dampen or cushion that area. Or use sound deadening material up in that space. If you are talking about a thunk sound when you hit a bump or take off real fast you might want to do a search for this problem because it has been discussed here before. Let us know how you make out. Hope this helps

Gonz
Old 06 Mar 2005, 11:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ptgtjoe

... I'd love to go to a dealer and look at a new one to see if theirs does the same thing, but lately, all the PT's on my dealer's lot have been locked!?!?!
Joe,

Not to offend, but I couldn't help laughing when I read this part. I imagine they have some kind of surveilance (sp) camera and after watching you going into their PT's weekend after weekend, somebody finally said "Look, there's that guy again - I've had it with him, from now on, let's lock them!"
Old 06 Mar 2005, 01:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

I checked mine as you asked. Pushing on the highest portion, there is no movement. Pushing on the low portion (where the back of the sunroof goes when open), there is about a 1/4" of movement and I can make it "sound off" if pressed fast enough. It's never made a sound while driving and I don't think it bounces or moves about.

Be sure to keep all your paperwork to document your visits to the dealer and maybe add a note by yourself stating what happened for each visit. Try to arrange to meet with the Chrysler rep when he is at the dealer. The phone number for Chrysler warranty issues is 800-992-1997.
Old 06 Mar 2005, 05:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

We have a moonroof and found the same as 2step. No real movement at the raised area but if I press up on the headliner about 8" behind the dome light I can hear/feel it hit something right where the headliner raises up behind the moonroof bulge. No problems when driving over bumps or RR tracks. One though is, could the moonroof motor or contrl module be loose? They are located in that area.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 06 Mar 2005, 09:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the replies....

It is definitely the headliner flexing up and down....

maybe it's the styrofoam pieces you mentioned....as I recall, when my PT was less than 6 mos old, this happened, and I was told that they had to glue something back that had come loose....the dealer at the time never mentioned styrofoam pieces, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense....my PT smelled like glue for about 2 weeks afterwards.....

I will mention it to a dealer I'm taking it to (not the same one) next weekend....maybe they can 'fix it'....

Old 08 Mar 2005, 02:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have experienced the problem you described. My dealer said there was a TSB about it but there was no fix. I solved the problem by stuffing a few pieces of foam rubber into the area through the opening for the dome light. Just make sure to get it far enough back so it doesn't interfere with the sunroof and shade panel but not so much that you push the headliner down even further. A very annoying situation that I refused to give up on, although the dealer did. Getting the dome light back in is a little tricky so be very observant when you take it out.