PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Whats wrong with my AC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2005, 05:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Whats wrong with my AC?

1st I don't have auto climate control

Todays it reach 70deg in my area so I turn the AC on. The problem is the AC is not even cold in this temperture. It's hotter with AC on inside than outside.

So I open the hood and heard that a constant clicking sound(like the AC compressor keep clicking every other 4 seconds. I can also feel it inside the car too the ait would get few seconds cold ON and OFF.

What is causing this problem. I never had this type of problem in my cars before is it that:

1) I simplily need charge the system with more freeon
2) The AC compressor need replacement
3) Some elec. problem
4) It's just not cold enough in this weather and the thermo just shuts the AC off.

The reason I ask 1st is that I don't want people charging me 68 for a can of $15 freeon.....Thanks in advance
Old 30 Mar 2005, 07:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

The system is not working properly. My guess is that the charge is low. Take it to a shop. There are dangers and special equipment involved with servicing A/C systems. Your PT uses R-134a, not R-12 (Freon). Cans haven't been $15 for years, and putting in too much or the wrong kind can cause hundreds of dollars of damage.
What happened with your clutch?

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 30 Mar 2005, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with Purple04. The system needs something around 200 lbs of pressure to operate and there's a sensor on the line to measure it. If your low on pressure (because your low on R-134)the sensor will shut off the compressor. You still have it "ON" so it starts right up again, but the sensor shuts it off...again. Over and over.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 09:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

Orrrrrrr,..... It could actually be the sensor, I just had this replaced on my cruiser. I live in Phoenix, AZ so its not a luxury, its a necessity, but... yeah, have someone, (probably the dealer) check the sensor too, my AC system was fun except that, it was a little loose and wouldn't send the signal for the refridgerant to go through. [:I]

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages
Old 31 Mar 2005, 12:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by purple04

The system is not working properly. My guess is that the charge is low. Take it to a shop. There are dangers and special equipment involved with servicing A/C systems. Your PT uses R-134a, not R-12 (Freon). Cans haven't been $15 for years, and putting in too much or the wrong kind can cause hundreds of dollars of damage.
What happened with your clutch?
Thanks for asking SOMEONE remember me

anyway the clutch feels weak as in always slipping if I'm in higher gear than I should. I always have to give it a little gas while releasing the clutch padel so that it wouldn't stall. The smell is on and off if I drive it a little harder in traffic in lower gear it's surface but if I drive it on highway it will never come out.....The mech guy don't wanna be responsible so he told me to ride it til it breaks down again......I don't have time and have to have the car for daily driving so I'll ride it til the next replacement I'm sure in a year or 2..........I still blame the damn mechanic for bad installation I"m sure something is up
Old 31 Mar 2005, 02:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Cans of R-134a are pretty cheap, and you can buy a recharge kit for around 20 dollars, if not less. Check any local AutoZone, etc.

Try that first before going to the stealership.
Old 01 Apr 2005, 08:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ctown

1) I simplily need charge the system with more freeon
2) The AC compressor need replacement
3) Some elec. problem
4) It's just not cold enough in this weather and the thermo just shuts the AC off.
Agree with the others. Let's look at your possibilities:
1) Possible - see other replies
2) Not likely, as it clicks on and you say you do feel cold a few seconds - and at least you know it's not seized.
3) Possible - sensor could be bad
4) No - if you don't have climate control it should come on no matter what.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Apr 2005, 07:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

ok THE PROBLEM OF THE AC IS RESOLVED

it's like what you guys said. The system is low on freon. I bought a kit with 134a freon on ebay for like $30 it came with a pressure gauge + hose. It's a simple process if you have a hayne manual. just plug it in and turn the car on with AC full blast. hayne warn to only use one can of 12 ounce but I have to refill it with up to 28 ounce(2 cans).

Like what u guys said. if the system is under 20psi the compressor would turn of but it'll turn back right on cause I have the AC ON but it's turn off right away.....on and off constantly. only 20+psi will keep the AC compressor on constantly.

Anyway one more problem solved out of alot of problem. The PT is not a quality built car I have to say compare to others in the same price range
Old 07 Apr 2005, 08:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ctown

ok THE PROBLEM OF THE AC IS RESOLVED

Anyway one more problem solved out of alot of problem. The PT is not a quality built car I have to say compare to others in the same price range
Glad you'll be able to kep your cool. What other problems? Needing an A/C charge is not an indication of poor quality...
Old 07 Apr 2005, 07:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You never said what year your PT was. Was this something that was covered under warrent?