PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

10K, 1 Year, & Needs New Axle??!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2005, 12:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 10K, 1 Year, & Needs New Axle??!!

Hi.

We love our PT Cruiser, but we recently noticed a vibration that would occur any time we were going around 50-55. Just took her in.

SHE NEEDS A NEW RIGHT FRONT AXLE??? WTF?!

After only 1 year and 10K? Simple driving around town mostly? Is this for real? I mean, my Toyota Tercel has 200K+ miles on it and is still on her 1996 axles.

I totally trust the folks who are working on it and would never question their diagnosis, but has anyone else ever heard of this?

I was just completely astounded that it would need a new front right axle after only 1 year and 10K miles.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
jlwn111
Old 08 Jun 2005, 01:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Nothing is perfect. Things do go bad & break. It is under warranty right?
I worked for a toyota dealer. Tercels break just as often. Some cars are better than others( meaning some PT's are better than others). MANY people with PT's have gone 100k+ with absolutely no troubles.
Do you have a son that drives? I know when I was younger, I would whoop on my FWD's crank the wheel to the right & give it hell. Do some awsome 1 wheel burn out & always destroy the FR axle.
Has anyone ran off the road recently? Did they also check the wheel bearings? A bent axle can put alot of stress on the wheel bearings.

BTW, that is an interesting screen name.
Old 08 Jun 2005, 02:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Who told you it needs a new front axel? Sounds like a bad guss. Check your tires if they have a flat spot or a bubble which the radial Good Years are notorius for this will cause the same problem. Unfortunatly dealer will not warrentee the tires you have to take that up with GoodYear.
My suggestion is get differnt tires at least for the front. Also you probably knew the tires need to be roatated every 3,000 miles.[:I]
Let us know how it turns out. I used to own Toyota for 20 years. But not as much fun to drive as a PT. I think it's to early to worry about axels.[8D]
Old 08 Jun 2005, 02:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Espresso

Nothing is perfect. Things do go bad & break. It is under warranty right?
I worked for a toyota dealer. Tercels break just as often. Some cars are better than others( meaning some PT's are better than others). MANY people with PT's have gone 100k+ with absolutely no troubles.
Do you have a son that drives? I know when I was younger, I would whoop on my FWD's crank the wheel to the right & give it hell. Do some awsome 1 wheel burn out & always destroy the FR axle.
Has anyone ran off the road recently? Did they also check the wheel bearings? A bent axle can put alot of stress on the wheel bearings.
No. No son. It's an adult driver and the car has mostly just been driven around town. We've taken her on two different road-trips over the past year but I can assure you there wasn't any "hot rodding". The car has been on flat surfaces exclusively and has never been "run off the road".

I'm still astounded that a defect as large as this would happen after only 1 year and 10K miles. Sure, it's covered, but that's not the point. The point is this: I cannot be the only one who has experienced this. Is this defect lurking out there on other PTs and being written off as simply an "alignment" problem? How many other people has this happened to?

I would like to hear from other people who might have had the same thing happen or have heard of this defect. I don't need anyone to tell me that "defects are to be expected". For me, they are not. Not on something this new. I would never have expected a defect as large as this to occur after only 10K worth of very conservative driving and only slightly over a year after buying the car as new. It's unreasonable to think that a defect as large as this is to be "expected".

Again, has anyone heard of this specific defect?

Thanks in advance,
jlwn111
Old 08 Jun 2005, 02:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stirfry

Who told you it needs a new front axel? Sounds like a bad guss. Check your tires if they have a flat spot or a bubble which the radial Good Years are notorius for this will cause the same problem. Unfortunatly dealer will not warrentee the tires you have to take that up with GoodYear.
My suggestion is get differnt tires at least for the front. Also you probably knew the tires need to be roatated every 3,000 miles.[:I]
Let us know how it turns out. I used to own Toyota for 20 years. But not as much fun to drive as a PT. I think it's to early to worry about axels.[8D]
I would have said the same thing. But these folks (the dealer) are rated very highly. Most folks have come to trust what they say. I wouldn't ever second guess them. The car has been serviced regularly per my service agreement (every 3K miles) by them and them alone. The tires have been rotated twice. They rotated the tires today and found that the problem still existed. That's when they started looking elsewhere and found the axel problem.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is astounded by a defect this large on a car that's this new.

I will keep you posted.
Old 08 Jun 2005, 03:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Unreasonable? I dont want to sound like a smartass. But you have way to high expectations in this world. Not everything is perfect. I'm sure there has been quite a few people with this problem( as I highly doubt you'll find more than one that will post here about your problem). That is why vehicle manufactures have warranties...yes, even $100K Mercedes break. Then again the owners are smart enough to realize that.
If you think something like this is "unreasonable" & a "defect this large" is bad. You sould sell it & walk, to be truthful. Because honestly I would hate to see it the timing belt snapped & wiped out the engine. Just have them replace it. If it happens again. THEN you should be worried.
Like I said, i'm not being a smartass. If you dont want people telling you that YES, things will break. Then dont post.
If you trust the ones telling you that the axle is bad. Why not ask them, about it?
Just some up coming issues you may be facing.
If you have an:
Auto trans...power steering lines may rub & cause a leak. Possibly resulting in a fire.
5-speed...clutch going out prematurely, low clutch pedal pressure, ect..
PCM may need to be reprogrammed, due to inproper settigns from the factory.
Turbo & 5 speed. The left front brake line can rip, resulting in a loss of brake pedal.
These are just some of the things that could go wrong.
Cars are not gods. DO some searching on the site & you will find what problems people have been having. I had to have a new horn installed a month after I bought it & a trans fluid change in less than 2500 miles.
**** happens.

Old 08 Jun 2005, 03:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have only heard of 1 or 2 cases of needing a front axle - 1 was where a guy had a much-modified turbo putting out way too many horsepower, and another where the rubber protective boots were torn and dirt crub got in.
Did they say what in particular? Did axle get Bent? Was it bearings?
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Jun 2005, 03:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Espresso

Unreasonable? I dont want to sound like a smartass. But you have way to high expectations in this world. Not everything is perfect. I'm sure there has been quite a few people with this problem( as I highly doubt you'll find more than one that will post here about your problem). That is why vehicle manufactures have warranties...yes, even $100K Mercedes break. Then again the owners are smart enough to realize that.
If you think something like this is "unreasonable" & a "defect this large" is bad. You sould sell it & walk, to be truthful. Because honestly I would hate to see it the timing belt snapped & wiped out the engine. Just have them replace it. If it happens again. THEN you should be worried.
Like I said, i'm not being a smartass. If you dont want people telling you that YES, things will break. Then dont post.
If you trust the ones telling you that the axle is bad. Why not ask them, about it?
Just some up coming issues you may be facing.
If you have an:
Auto trans...power steering lines may rub & cause a leak. Possibly resulting in a fire.
5-speed...clutch going out prematurely, low clutch pedal pressure, ect..
PCM may need to be reprogrammed, due to inproper settigns from the factory.
Turbo & 5 speed. The left front brake line can rip, resulting in a loss of brake pedal.
These are just some of the things that could go wrong.
Cars are not gods. DO some searching on the site & you will find what problems people have been having. I had to have a new horn installed a month after I bought it & a trans fluid change in less than 2500 miles.
**** happens.

Wow, you sound bitter and angry. And by the way, the $100,000 Benz is a DC product, so forgive me that I'm not surprised if it also breaks down... Just my $0.02, but if you had to qualify that you weren't being a smartass, then you probably were being one.

jlwnn111: I also had a Toyota for six years, 138,000 miles and no problems whatsoever. I didn't have to replace the brakes until they were at 60,000 miles and didn't have to replace the clutch until 128,000 miles. Replaced belts at 100,000+ miles, but no big.

PT Cruiser - '03. At four months, PT was in the shop for a week due to an electrical problem that the induhviduals working at the stealership could not locate. I had to take the PT to another dealership where the problem was diagnosed (finally, at 5 months) as a bad fuel level sending unit. At six months, the car would idle roughly at a dead stop. Turns out DC put in bad plug wires and I had wire #3 replaced. At seven months, the badyear tires went bad and I had one replaced and had to drive with the other three, because the crappy tire warranty doesn't truly cover manufacturer's defects (granted this isn't DC's fault, but the lack of quality of parts used in the vehicle does not surprise me). At 14 months, plug wire #1 went bad and also had to be replaced. By month 18, I replaced all wires with expensive, highly recommended wires by month 22, the wires were totally shot and plugs completely corroded. The first question from the induhvidual at the local O'Reilly's (they're not car people and they're NOT smart) was "Duh... did you use any of that, uh, grease when you installed the wires?" If I could properly identify the problem with my car do you really think I would not know how to properly install the product???

At any rate, my PT has been in the shop more often than the 1995 Grand Am I owned, and I hate GM. The Grand Am was in the shop for a warranty recall and removal of a stealership installed anti-theft system. Otherwise, 118,000 miles and 8 years and no problems.

So, in my experience, the problem is with DC.

2003 Classic Edition, 5-speed with 7-ball shift knob, badges removed, dark tint, Borla split exit exhaust, short billett antenna, Nu-Image white-faced blue flamed gauges and 15\" American Racing Aero Wheels.
Old 08 Jun 2005, 03:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

I can be a smartass when I want to. Beings as I dont know these people, nor how long they have been driving, ect. I dont want to be a smartass to them. Nor' am I bitter & angry, just a little disturbed. I'm just stating that if they expect NOTHING to even go slightly wrong. They are living in the clouds. So if they want to take the truth as me being a smartass. So be it.
They need to expect these things. Plain & simple.

BTW, just because Benz is owned by DC doesnt mean its all DC. A Bently, is still built by Bently, not by it's more than half stock holder Volkswagen. But I know what you are saying.
Old 08 Jun 2005, 04:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTRobert

Wow, you sound bitter and angry.
Who sounds like what?