Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
MPG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2003, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default MPG

I just ordered my GT yesterday. I rented a PT last month, and I can see why some people complain about the gas mileage. I was turning 2,600 rpm at 70 mph. My vette only turns 2,100 at that speed. Is the gearing any different on the GT, or will I still be at 2,600?
Old 01 May 2003, 08:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

You really can't compare a 4 cyl to an 8 cyl. You are going to have power in a completely different area of the RPM range. If you are looking for fuel efficiency, may I suggest one of the very fine hybrid cars out there. Of course nobody will know what you are driving but you can wave your "green" flag at them. There is hardly a driver on the road that won't recognize a PT, and the turbo is a blast on top of it. Sorry, I just get tired of people raggin' on the mileage of this car. I get 20 MPG all the time and I am happy with that plus I have fun driving the thing and tinkering with mods for it. [8)]
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 01 May 2003, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't care about the mileage, I was just curious about the gearing. If it was different that the PT.
Old 01 May 2003, 10:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Are you talking about the automatic or the 5-speed.
Final Drive for all 5-speeds EXCEPT Turbo 3.45
Final Drive for Turbo 5-speed 3.29
Final Drive for ALL Automatics INCLUDING Turbo AutoStick 3.91

As far as transmission gearing, the differences between the Std 5-speed and the Getrag 5-speed on the Turbo are as follows:
Gear Ratios
Standard 5 speed (1st)3.50,(2nd)1.96,(3rd)1.36,(4th)0.971,(5th)0.81 1
Getrag 5 speed (1st)3.92,(2nd)2.21,(3rd)1.46,(4th)1.11,(5th)0.88
Automatic (1st)2.84,(2nd)1.57,(3rd)1.00,(4th)0.69
Overall Top-Gear
Std 5speed 2.8, Getrag 5 speed 2.898, Automatic 2.694

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 01 May 2003, 10:42 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Indynick:

Welcome
to the forum. I'm sure, like most of us GT owners, you bought this "turbo car" for good performance, not great gas mileage--enjoy your new fast ride.[|)][8)]
Old 02 May 2003, 04:34 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to GTcamster

Gary, im glad you said "most of us" I got my GT partly for the milage. my dakota sucked fuel. but yes your right, good performance, was the selling ticket.
<font color=\"maroon\">Deep Cranberry Pearl Coat </font id=\"maroon\"><font color=\"blue\">GT</font id=\"blue\"> ~ <font color=\"red\">5</font id=\"red\"> <font color=\"purple\">speed</font id=\"purple\">
Old 02 May 2003, 02:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I own a 71 and a 95 vette. I am getting the GT for my wife. She doesn't know about the high performance. The final drive ratio for the auto is really low. No wonder it is so quick off the line.
Old 18 May 2003, 04:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to BC4BigMac

Yes, the PT Turbo is a blast to drive. Yes, most of us got the car for performance and not gas mileage. BUT, Chrysler could have done something to improve the gas mileage for all PT Cruisers across the product line. Even automotive reviewers say that the mileage should be higher for a car of the PT's size. Our 2000 Chrysler Town & Country minivan weighs a thousand pounds more and has a V6 gets better mileage than my new Electric Blue PT Cruiser Turbo w/Autostick!
Old 18 May 2003, 10:03 am
Young Cruiser

I am quite happy with the milage in my PT GT auto. With less than 1000 miles I am getting 22.9mpg. So far it's increased with each tank of gas. The driving has been 80% suburban and 20% highway.

I expect be getting close 25mpg in the same mix when it's fully broken in. This compares pretty well to my 2.5l v6 auto Avenger which gets about 25-26 in the same driving and 26-27 for my 5spd Daytona Shelby.

Now my Dakota v6 auto 4x4 has never seen 20mpg. In the same mix of driving it gets about 17 in warm weather and 15 in the winter and maybe 19mpg on a trip.
Old 18 May 2003, 01:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Our PT Turbo 5 speed now has about 3000 miles on it and the boss lady gets just over 23 miles per gallon in traffic. On a cruise it goes up to about 28MPG. Not what her Neon got, but then, its a whole lot better and different than the Neon.

Mike