PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Where to get a dyno test?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2005, 01:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to kiteman3221
Default Where to get a dyno test?

I should finally have my GT by the end of this week fresh off the assembly line and the last of the 05’ before they start retooling for 06 models – or so I have been told. When I get it I will check for the plastic manifold and any other mods mentioned. I also want to start with a baseline dyno test so I can track my mod performances and see what gains (or losses ) I get along the way. I should be able to answer the 220 vs 230 hp late model GT question then. Since I am new to all of this I have 2 questions that may sound dumb (at least one of them anyway).

1. Can tell what program version a PCM has been flashed with and is there a list from DC that tells what changes have been made from version to version? This might give us an indication that something in the programming has changed from the early to late 05 models.

2. Where do you go to get a dyno test; can any garage do this testing; do I need to request something specific? Also how much can I expect a test to cost and how long does it usually take? Thanks
Old 09 Aug 2005, 10:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Where are you located?
Old 09 Aug 2005, 11:43 am
Cool Cruiser

do a search on the net. There are a number of shops that do performance (not just smog or tune) dyno testing. I'd wait until it's broken in a bit before doing a full pull, though. Congrats on the purchase!

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 09 Aug 2005, 12:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Possibly look in your local yellow pages under speed shops.
Old 09 Aug 2005, 12:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:
I should be able to answer the 220 vs 230 hp late model GT question then. Since I am new to all of this I have 2 questions that may sound dumb (at least one of them anyway).
Your car will not dyno at 220 or 230 HP. HP ratings from the manufacturer are measured at the flywheel on an engine dyno. You will be on a chassis dyno where you will measure wheel HP. This is a measurement after the parasitic loss of the drive train. The best you can do is try to compensate mathematically for this loss but you never know what the true parasitic loss is.

Quote:
quote:
2. Where do you go to get a dyno test; can any garage do this testing; do I need to request something specific? Also how much can I expect a test to cost and how long does it usually take? Thanks
Check the phone book, go to car shows, ask other car enthusiasts. There are several different kinds of dynos. Dynojet, Mustand Dyno and others. They will all return different results.

At least you will have a baseline to work from but keep in mind that even the same dyno will return different results based on different environmental factors on a given day or even time of day.

Most of all, enjoy your new PT!...and MODIFY!
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 10 Aug 2005, 12:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Make sure your GT is broken in before the dyno.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic