Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hard starting 180HP turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2005, 02:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Hard starting 180HP turbo

I just bought a used convertible with the 180 HP turbo. The first few days everything seemed fine. Today, it was having trouble starting. The battery has no problem cranking but something is preventing it from starting.

I understand the gas cap could be an issue and I will check it as soon as my wife gets back. What are other possible problems to look for? Are there any TSBs for that engine?
Old 06 Sep 2005, 03:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Have you tried the ON/OFF X 3 to check for trouble codes?
A few have reported failed crank sensor issues. Are you handy at checking for spark without shocking yourself? Did your car dealer give you any kind of warranty? 30 days, etc.?

Old 07 Sep 2005, 07:31 am
Regular Cruiser

I'm not familiar with the on/off 3x approach to read codes. Would you care to elaborate. I do have a cheap OBDII reader. I just assumed that if there was a code to be read, the check engine light would come on. What is the code for the crank sensor?

BTW, the whole hard starting issue may be moot. My wife told me earlier that she thinks the hard starting was related to the brake not being depressed. I don't think my GT has that kind of interlock feature but it is such an unconscious behavior, I can't recall.
Old 07 Sep 2005, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sawdust123

I'm not familiar with the on/off 3x approach to read codes. Would you care to elaborate. I do have a cheap OBDII reader. I just assumed that if there was a code to be read, the check engine light would come on. What is the code for the crank sensor?

BTW, the whole hard starting issue may be moot. My wife told me earlier that she thinks the hard starting was related to the brake not being depressed. I don't think my GT has that kind of interlock feature but it is such an unconscious behavior, I can't recall.
I believe you are correct - if you got no check engine light, you'll have no codes, in fact there are times you can get a check engine light and not have a code, but I don't think it can happen the other way around.
As to the brake interlock (for manual) - I don't think it'd crank - it's like on auto if you're in D - it won't crank 'till you put it in P.
Time to visit a dealer - it's an '05, right? Let them fix it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Sep 2005, 11:45 am
Fanatic Cruiser

There are some codes that will set but not turn on the check engine light.Generally they don't effect emissions or signify a serious problem. Case in point: I work on Hyundai's also.I had one came in that didn't run right.Check codes and it shows a code for a knock sensor malfunction and the codes has set over 200 times but no engine light.Come to find out a rodent had chewed the wires in half....
And specifically chrysler... I know some SKim codes won't urn on the check engine light.... there are others but you get the picture
Old 09 Sep 2005, 04:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well,

I checked my wife car last night. You DON'T need to step on the brake to start it and it started fine for me. However, she swears that this is all she did to help the hard starting problem she experienced. Hmmm, could there be a software bug in the engine chip that is somehow corrected when the brake is pressed?
Old 09 Sep 2005, 08:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

May be a fuel pump problem, try turning the key on and pausing several seconds before cranking it over.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 02:56 am
Senior Cruiser

If it starts up right away when it does start up I would leave it alone for now till it rsumes its starting problems. If it hesitates at all when it starts up I would give the stealer a shot at it. I say this cause mine starts up very quickly and never hesitates never!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 04:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

This was an ongoing problem with my GT. At times it would not start the first time but would start the second try. When the engine was hot it always started right up. Most of the time it started up the first time. Took it into the dealer and they couldn't either duplicate it or fix it. Heard other PT turbo owners had this problem, too.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 10 Sep 2005, 01:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah, we had it on our 2003 GT and for what ever reason it has cleared on its own. Had it to the dealer a number of times, they even changed the gas cap thinking the fuel pressure would bleed down. Works fine now at 30,000+ miles.

Mike