PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Thermostat Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2005, 02:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Thermostat Replacement

My Cruiser wont warm up fast anymore but once it does it the coolant temp stays where it is supose too so I think my thermo is bad!! After checking out the replacement situation I decided on this: Prestone Thermostat - GENERATION 2 776-180
Gasket (o-ring) - Fel-Pro 35588 (10-1227)

It cost me $10.99 at Kragens but it is cheaper to order on line and pick it up like this: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=134&ptset=A.

Will install Saturday after I flush the system good. BTW Radiator cap looks great but I will pressure test it. Will use MOPAR coolant unless there is a better one around for our car.
Old 09 Sep 2005, 03:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

If this isn't weather-related (doubt it, mine warms up at the same rate cold or hot), It's either a stuck open t'stat, bubble in the system or a sending unit problem. Your plan of attack covers 2 of 3. Check the sending unit while you are in there to cover all bases.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 10 Sep 2005, 02:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Thanks for the advise and I will check the sending unit per my factory maintenacne manual on CD. I doubt that it is a sending unit problem as the gage reads appropriately under all conditions. When I was drving on a trip and traveling for about a half hour at about 80 mph the gage read normal till I went down a large hill and it read two lines under the normal line which for me is the half way line. Whemn I climbed the hill a moment later it went back up to normal. I never knew the thermo closes and keeps the temp more or less constant.

Before this problem my gage went quickly very close to the half way line and stayed there no matter what the engine was doing or the ambient temperature was or if the A/C was on or off.

06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 01:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yeah, just sounds like a stuck t-stat. Used to be when a t-stat stuck it would stick in the closed position. Many are now designed so the default is open and that is where they will stick so you don't blow a headgasket or worse when it sticks. I didn't know that the PT's had one of these but they do make a lot more sense!
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 11 Sep 2005, 05:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Installed the T stat and all is well. Te old unit was actually broken and wide open. The top metal piece was alost completely severed at the bottom and it was flopping around. The new unit went in as designed and the gasket or what the call a seal worked good too. Now it quickly goes to one line under midway kinda slowly goes to middle line and stays rock steady there. I think the counter man said Prestone claims that it starts to open at 180* but is not fully opened till 187* if you beleive that!! If you believe Prestone and think the gage is kinda close then one line under the mid point must be close to 180*!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 10:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There's an article in Popular Mechanics that syas going to a lower (180) thermostat isn't a good idea. Will hurt fuel economy.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Sep 2005, 04:25 am
Senior Cruiser

I will let you know but if it starts to open at 180 and fully opened at 187 then it should be close to OK at least. At least it wont open at 160. The Neon SRT boys seem to be happy with this T stat.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 06:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptTurbo528

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF UPGRADING FROM A 180 T-STAT TO A 160... I KNOW ITS GONNA BEEF UP THE FUEL INTAKE ..THE COMPUTER WILL THINK ITS RUNNING COLD. I PUT ONE IN MY OLD CAR AND I KNOW IT SUCKS IT WINTER TAKES FOR EVER TO GET WARM ..SHOULD I DO IT .. I WANNA TRY TO GET AIR/FUEL RATIO UP WITH MY INTAKE ON I DONT WANNA RUN IT TO LEAN SO MY IDEA IS CHANGING THE T-STAT TO MAKE IT MORE RICH...
goldline coil springs custom exhaust done by yours truly..k&n typhoon intake..tinted windows member of ptcruiserclub.org..adjusted wasetgate. E&G classic billet grille. 600w alpine amp,2-twelve alpine typeR subs,alpine headunit.xeon headlights,fog lights.apc carbon fiber taillights. royal purple oil. k&n oil filter,mopar bov conversion,BTG strut tower brace....
Old 28 Sep 2005, 06:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Depending on your mods the GT engine runs pretty rich on itw own. I would check out the air/fuel mixture before I decided to richen up the mixture.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 07:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

The new T Stat works just fine. Got 22 mpg on my trip to San Diego which was half highway half surface streets. Not good but just what I was getting before. My mileage went down for the summer which may be because of the heat and the summer gas formula.