Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Will 16" Wheels fit on GT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2003, 10:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Will 16" Wheels fit on GT?

Hello everyone! I have a 2001 Touring Edition that I am thinking of trading in on a used 2003 GT with 5000 miles. My problem is I have a set of Dunlop Graspic(205/55/16) snow tires and a set of chrome wheels and tires besides the painted alum wheels that come standard on the Touring Ed. I am wondering if these wheels (chrome) will be alright to use on the GT. Is there anything I should be worried about in using the 16" wheels?? I would like to use them to autocross and for my winter tires. Thanks for the help!!!
Old 09 May 2003, 10:41 pm
Administrator

Welcome! [^]

According to the guys at Tire Rack, 16's won't fit over the GT brakes without any modifying.
Old 10 May 2003, 05:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Diameter wise I would not think there is a problem but the spokes on the 17's that came on mine are just a wisker away from the calipers. I would think that would likely be where the problem would be.
Old 10 May 2003, 06:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You would have to use a hub spacer to get the 16" wheels to fit. The turbo has a large brake caliper and it is my understanding that neither the front NOR the rear will clear.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 10 May 2003, 11:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the responses. I was able to get the GT from the dealer today so I could try the Chrome wheels to see if they fit(The owner is a close friend). I could not believe it but the Chrome wheels fit on without any rubbing of the brake calipers. I was surprised. I even drove it around the block and did not hear any rubbing. It's true that there is not much room between the caliper and the wheel on either wheel(16" or 17"). Is there any thing else I should be checking for besides the calipers rubbing?? I don't want to buy this car until I am positive that it is OK to use these 16's at least in the winter with my snow tires. Thanks again!!!
Old 11 May 2003, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Come on now, you should always upgrade not downgrade! Chains are not recomended, you should use Snow Cables on this vehicle otherwise you might void the Warranty!

My $0.02!
Old 11 May 2003, 10:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Believe me I would love to upgrade in the future. But for now I have an extra set of Chrome wheels with Goodyear tires and a set of Dunlop Graspic snows. I would love to use the 16" Goodyears to autocross the GT instead of wearing out the 17's. I had a chance to autocross my 2001 PT this past winter with the snows on. What a blast!!
Old 13 May 2003, 10:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I just wanted to let everyone know that I traded in my 2001 PT Touring today and took delivery of a used 2003 Electric Blue GT Turbo (autostick, leather, 5000 miles) Wow what a difference in power!
Old 18 May 2003, 10:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Goldmember

Believe it or not at a Cruise in March I saw GT with Butt Ugly 15 inch rims and snows... It sure looked funny but it must work