Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Intermittent oil warning light pt2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2005, 10:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Intermittent oil warning light pt2

I have this continuing problem with an intermittent oil light. The problem is that the light stays on after starting the car. If I shut the car off and restart it, the light stays off.

I brought the car to the dealer twice for the problem. The first time they didn't find a problem, they thought it may be caused by cheap aftermarket oil filters. I upgraded the filter I was using and the problem continued. The second time they examined it they said the insulation on the wire from the oil sender unit was getting bare and their could be an intermittent short circuit. I didn't buy the explanation but they did the work under warranty. The problem came back.

Now I think I finally see a pattern. The problem seems to occur when I'm in a rush. The light seems to stay on when I quickly shift the car out of park (I have the autostick) before the light has had a chance to go out on its own. This sounds like it may be a software bug in the OBD code. Has anyone else seen this?
Old 17 Nov 2005, 12:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Haven't seen anyone else on any forum with this problem.[:I]
Seems you're onto something if you can find conditions that cause it, they should be able to fix it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Nov 2005, 03:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sawdust123

I have this continuing problem with an intermittent oil light. The problem is that the light stays on after starting the car. If I shut the car off and restart it, the light stays off.

I brought the car to the dealer twice for the problem. The first time they didn't find a problem, they thought it may be caused by cheap aftermarket oil filters. I upgraded the filter I was using and the problem continued. The second time they examined it they said the insulation on the wire from the oil sender unit was getting bare and their could be an intermittent short circuit. I didn't buy the explanation but they did the work under warranty. The problem came back.

Now I think I finally see a pattern. The problem seems to occur when I'm in a rush. The light seems to stay on when I quickly shift the car out of park (I have the autostick) before the light has had a chance to go out on its own. This sounds like it may be a software bug in the OBD code. Has anyone else seen this?
hmmm, sounds like the actual sending unit to me. why didn't those imbeciles at the dealer change out the sending unit in first place? - instead of wrapping the wire with extra tape...[xx(]

the oil filter suggestion they offered is lame, as well. all filters either meet or exceeds factory specs - unless the oil filter is from china.

i don't think it's a bug in the obd code. if it was a software bug, this problem would be more widespread and a tsb would have been issued. (my 2 cents)
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 08:15 pm
Young Cruiser

I have had the same problem. Every once in awhile the oil light stays on, but if you shut it down, it goes off on restart. I have just learned to live with it and check the oil every now and then. The oil is always at the top of the full line.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 09:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had that same problem. I purchased a new oil pressure sending unit from the dealer for around $16.00/ I purchased a special socket at Pep Boys in the help section for Chrysler sending units (deep socket). You won't get the old one out, or the new one in without it as there isn't much space. Good luck.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

had the same problem on my first 03 gt they never could find the problem , then the car kept going into " safe mode" but that was a different problem, keep bringing it back to the dealership!! they have to fix it good luck keep us posted
Old 24 Jan 2008, 11:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Intermittent oil warning light pt2

this is strange because i have the same question now. i test drove a 2004 today with this same problem and i was wondering if i should reconsider purchasing for this reason.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 04:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Intermittent oil warning light pt2

Ah ha! You found it LuLu.
I had the same intermittant oil light problem with my 1997 Dodge Caravan. Decided to just live with it also, and keep checkin' that oil level. (especially after the warranty had run out)
Old 25 Jan 2008, 05:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

My '03 GT did it a few times if I didn't wait for the fuel pressure to build up and started the car too quickly. Turn the key on, but do not actually start the car for a few seconds. After a few seconds start the car and I'll bet the oil light will not come on then.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 26 Jan 2008, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

good idea mean green !!