Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cold air intake or modified air box?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2006, 04:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default cold air intake or modified air box?

i have modified my air box by pulling out the white silencer collar. i have also replaced the stock air cleaner element with a k&n filter.

i have been eyeing the cold air intake kits on ebay, but am wondering will a cold air intake kit give me any more performance than my current modified air box?[:I]
Old 17 Jan 2006, 08:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pppt03turbo

i have modified my air box by pulling out the white silencer collar. i have also replaced the stock air cleaner element with a k&n filter.

i have been eyeing the cold air intake kits on ebay, but am wondering will a cold air intake kit give me any more performance than my current modified air box?[:I]
Yes. It also depends on which one you are buying. Fork up the money for a good one, and make sure it has a seperate box that contains the filter away from the heat of the engine. Should have an opening at the bottom to pull fresh air from outside the engine bay area. Best one in my opion is the VOLANT cold air intake. I have one and changed the filter to a K&N. Rest of it comes with a black box to seprate the filter from the high heat temp. of the engine and the intake tube has less bends in it than most offered. This will give you better air flow/travel. It is also smooth inside for the same reason. Plus plastic will not heat up as much as alluminum. Here is the link to the Volant intake. Notice the shape of the diamiter. It is 4"!!! wide at the opening and then tapers down to the standard 2.5" before the throtle-body.

http://www.howellautomotive.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=244
Old 17 Jan 2006, 10:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wicked_PT

Quote:

Yes. It also depends on which one you are buying. Fork up the money for a good one, and make sure it has a seperate box that contains the filter away from the heat of the engine. Should have an opening at the bottom to pull fresh air from outside the engine bay area. Best one in my opion is the VOLANT cold air intake. I have one and changed the filter to a K&N. Rest of it comes with a black box to seprate the filter from the high heat temp. of the engine and the intake tube has less bends in it than most offered. This will give you better air flow/travel. It is also smooth inside for the same reason. Plus plastic will not heat up as much as alluminum. Here is the link to the Volant intake. Notice the shape of the diamiter. It is 4"!!! wide at the opening and then tapers down to the standard 2.5" before the throtle-body.

http://www.howellautomotive.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=244
thank you![?]
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 02:22 am
Young Cruiser

ok, help me out....my '05 GT has the big white round cylinder like thing inside the airbox..this is the sound damper? How do you remove it and has anyone had a hassle from the dealer under warranty for doing so?
Old 18 Jan 2006, 03:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by coolvanillagt

ok, help me out....my '05 GT has the big white round cylinder like thing inside the airbox..this is the sound damper? How do you remove it and has anyone had a hassle from the dealer under warranty for doing so?
i found removal instructions on how to remove this deal from this site. just search w/keywords "air box silencer".

i can't see how it would void a warranty. all you are doing is increasing engine airflow intake. also, i don't think a dealer mechanic would notice it was removed. just keep it and snap it back in before a dealer visit.

i am getting a 1-2 mpg increase with the silencer gone and a k&n stock replacement filter. the throttle response seems a tad more snappy, but that could be my imagination.
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 03:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Remove both silencers inside the airbox, replace the turbo to airbox pipe and use a K&N drop in. Will out perform any so called cold air intake. Serious modders on the other forum know this. Isn't a so called cold air intake out there that eliminates all hot engine air.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 18 Jan 2006, 04:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mean Green

replace the turbo to airbox pipe
mean green - replace the turbo to airbox pipe - with..?
Old 18 Jan 2006, 12:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Quote:

replace the turbo to airbox pipe
mean green - replace the turbo to airbox pipe - with..?
He probably wants you to replace it with a smooth aluminum tube. Like I said, metal conducts heat! Thats why I say go with a plastic one. It will still get hot in there, but not as much as a metal one would. The factory tube has to many ripples in the shape, making air flow through the area much rougher than a smooth tube would. Better air flow/travel.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 12:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Remove both silencers inside the airbox, replace the turbo to airbox pipe and use a K&N drop in. Will out perform any so called cold air intake. Serious modders on the other forum know this. Isn't a so called cold air intake out there that eliminates all hot engine air.
Guess you did not read the diameter of the VOLANT intake tube. It's 4" at the opening, that almost twice as big as the stock tube. Hence, more air intake equals a cooler engine and more air. Plus you can always run a plastic tube from the bottom of the air box whole, down under the fender and then out in front of the bumper. That's what I did. Total custom REAL COLD AIR INTAKE.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 04:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wicked_PT

Quote:

Guess you did not read the diameter of the VOLANT intake tube. It's 4" at the opening, that almost twice as big as the stock tube. Hence, more air intake equals a cooler engine and more air. Plus you can always run a plastic tube from the bottom of the air box whole, down under the fender and then out in front of the bumper. That's what I did. Total custom REAL COLD AIR INTAKE.
It doesn't matter if the pipe is 6" and you're shoving hurricane force air into the intake. The pcm controls how much air it will accept and just because the pipe is larger doesn't mean the air will be cooler. Now feeding cold air from the front is an excellent idea. I ran 2" flex hose from the opening next to the foglight up to the modified airbox.

If you looked at the factory turbo to airbox pipe you would see there is a third silencer in there that narrows down from 3" to 1 1/2" greatly reducing air flow. Contact Jim Barnes at amx1397@comcast.net to get a very nice turbo to airbox pipe that everybody loves.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic