Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Strange Miss fire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Feb 2006, 11:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Strange Miss fire

Today I was washing the car an decided to remove the silencers. I had added a K&N drop in a couple days before. After I cleaned out the box and took the silencer out I started it up to hear and when i reved it started to miss fire at about 4000 rpm and higher. The odd thing however is that when I took it out and was driving it and floored it to see if it was doning it under load, and it was fine. It would only do it if I was parked. I found that strange.

I had my Auto tranny and Throttle body serviced this past week.

I am thinking it may be that new plugs are needed as it's getting more air now and so the mixture is off. I not sure but it's strange.

Just another thing I wonder if I should be worried about was that there was some oil in the air box coming from that small hose that has the foam filter that comes from up near the cams. The dealer mentioned nothing about it when they did their inspection. Is this normal?

I just lowered the car 2" front and rear. Love the look! Handles better too!

2004 Turbo Lite Platinum Series Black
Old 18 Feb 2006, 11:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Oil in the box is normal. Just clean it out. If you are still using OEM plug wires then switch to aftermarket ones like Magnecor or Crane. Are your plugs gapped at .040? There was a TSB to close the gap from .050 to .040.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 18 Feb 2006, 11:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks I just found some posts on the oil issue. Just curious I only removed the white silencer in the box. Someone said the is one in the box to turbo tube too. Can that be removed easily? Where are all the silencers located? Just curious Thanks
2004 Platnium Ltd Ed. Turbo. Stage 1, 06 composite intake, Voodoo III MBC, Custom axle back straight pipe, Spectre ABTT, Magstar Race wires, K&N filter,Springtech 2\" drop, Silencers removed, iridium plugs. Best ET 14.224 @ 97.6 on street tires
Old 19 Feb 2006, 02:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

There is also a silencer inside the airbox that is attached to the snorkle that goes to the fenderwell. That can be cut flush to the inside of the airbox. The silencer inside the turbo to airbox hose can not be removed. The hose must be replaced. That silencer narrows down to 1 1/2" and really restricts air flow. You can make your own or buy one.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 19 Feb 2006, 08:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

[8]Its called a rev limiter...they all do it and that is NORMAL....
Old 19 Feb 2006, 04:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

rev limiter... when you are at a car show you will here the kids on the jap rice rocket bikes reving up to a popping sound same thing the pt is doing
Old 19 Feb 2006, 10:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The rev limiter thing surprised me. I have had a number of different cars that never had this. They had a rev limiter at the normal point 100 to 200 rpm over red line. Of coarse almost all the cars I ever owned were manuals too, so maybe that's the reason why. Damn, thinking about it I don't really think I have ever owned an automatic before this. Wonder if all automatics have this. I don't understand why one would and one wouldn't. The engine is still spinning the same whether auto or manual. Why 4000 rpm that's 2000-2500 rpm short, seem abit of over kill. and I have owned alot of different cars.
2004 Platnium Ltd Ed. Turbo. Stage 1, 06 composite intake, Voodoo III MBC, Custom axle back straight pipe, Spectre ABTT, Magstar Race wires, K&N filter,Springtech 2\" drop, Silencers removed, iridium plugs. Best ET 14.224 @ 97.6 on street tires
Old 19 Feb 2006, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh by the way, does anyone have the web site for that AMX pipe some have used to replace the turbo to box pipe. Thanks[8)]
Old 20 Feb 2006, 04:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

[8]There is no TSB....repeat no TSB out that says to reduce the spark plug gap on the TURBO engine from chrysler....it is for the non TURBO engine ONLY...
Old 20 Feb 2006, 05:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

They did it to prevent you from spooling your turbo when not under load. Every PT Turbo produced has this annoying little feature. And rszappa is right. The TSB reffered to does not mention Turbo plug gaps. However, experience from many owners has shown that lessening the plug gap on your trubo will smooth out the idle and give you improved repsonse. .038-.040 for a relatively stock turbo is about the norm, with gaps as low as .028 for more highly modded engines. A good set of plug wires will also greatly benefit you. I'm partial to Magnecores (KV-85) myself, but Crane and a few others make some nice wires too.
2004 PT GT -Stage 1, K&N Drop-In, Airbox Mods, \'05 Composite Manifold, AMX TTAB, NGK V-Powers at .040, Magnecore KV-85\'s, Mopar BOV, BTG Strut Bar, Mopar Rear Sway, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Hawk HPS Brake Pads, a few visual Mods, a coupla Road Runners, and a Partridge in a Pear tree......