Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Proof on mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2006, 11:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Proof on mods

Resently I have begun modifying my turbo lite Platnium. I have removed the intake silencers w/ K&N filter(except down pipe to turbo),added a 2" drop, 225/50 tires, and today added some new plugs (Extreme Performance Fine Wire .06mm point gapped to .042- $7 a piece)(Oh by the way the stock plugs were gapped at something like .07!!!). After I changed the plugs I took it for a test drive. Brought my Gtech along for the ride. I had timed the car before with it and gotten a best of 0-60 in 7.8 sec and qtr mile in 16.2@ 86mph. Also run at the track during the hot florida summer last year and got 16.3 @83 mph. All times with full interior. Tonite I got 0-60 in 7.6 and qtr in 16.0 @ 88 mph. This was with a full interior and full tank of gas. Seems the mods have had some effect. Was pleased that the trap speed went up some. Just thought I would share. Now I know you say Gtech, thats a joke, but I have taken it to the track with me before and it is usaully with a tenth or 2 for me. Even compare in my post. Glad to see the mods are working.

Just a question, I was at home depot tonite and was looking at 2" and 3" flexible pipe, with the crazy notion of making my own inatke down pipe. Anyone know the diameters of the box output and turbo intake? Just curious. Could probably make a good intake for less that $30.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 01:14 am
Regular Cruiser

First off, the G-Tech is not a joke - I've run mine at the track and gotten very, very similar times between it and the official track timing.

As for the flex pipe used between the airbox and turbo....uh, no. All that ribbing will really trash your airflow and defeat the purpose. Have you considered Stage 1? I also have a 2004 Turbo Lite (Platinum Series no less!) and the addition of Stage 1 is simply astounding! That jump from 180HP to 240HP will knock your socks off, not to mention your tires! I never took my car to the track when it was stock, but with Stage 1, Magnecor iginition wires, Denso Iridium spark plugs and the VAK intake/uppercharge setup from PrototypePower I've run 14.4 in the 1/4 mile. For $350 and about 30 minutes with a 10mm wrench, it has to be the greatest mod in the tuner aftermarket regardless of brand. I highly recommend you do it.

Now.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 03:52 am
Veteran Cruiser

I made my own turbo to airbox pipe. You need to use the right materials. The turbo inlet is 2 1/2" and the airbox is 3" so you need this high temp elbow.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=SIL-90EL

You'll need 3" pipe and a silicone coupler to go from the pipe to the airbox inlet. You'll need to put a 3/8"(?) inlet on the pipe for the vacuum line.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 06 Mar 2006, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

No it is not the ribbed flexable tubing I am talking about. I am talking smooth black rubber hose for industrial pluumbing in 2" OR 3" size. They carry 90 degrees bend pieces at Home Depot than have some flex to them but are still fairly rigid. My only concern is the heat issue for the rubber. Yeah I plan on getting a Stage 1 within the next couple months. Can't wait to try it out. I live 2 miles from the drag strip so that will be my first stop
2004 Platnium Ltd Ed. Turbo. Stage 1, 06 composite intake, Voodoo III MBC, Custom axle back straight pipe, Spectre ABTT, Magstar Race wires, K&N filter,Springtech 2\" drop, Silencers removed, iridium plugs. Best ET 14.224 @ 97.6 on street tires
Old 08 Mar 2006, 04:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ahh.... the Turbo Lite Platinum Series. :-)

I actually just found my GTech and have been meaning to measure things, but I've been too busy, and it's hard to hook up in < 35 degree weather.

I have a K&N FIPK-II, which I'm quite happy with, and a Mopar BOV kit. I'm coming up on 20K miles, so the spark plugs are about to be replaced, but I haven't decided which to use yet. I also plan on installing the Plastic Manifold... and provided the $400 shows up on Friday, the Stage 1 kit.

Has anyone else tried taking off their muffler? I had some very impressive gains, at the expense of not being able to talk while driving around.... It had to go back on though. The look on the guy's face in the TransAm was priceless.

- AJ

Old 08 Mar 2006, 10:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PlatinumTurbo

I have a K&N FIPK-II, which I'm quite happy with, and a Mopar BOV kit. I'm coming up on 20K miles, so the spark plugs are about to be replaced, but I haven't decided which to use yet.

Has anyone else tried taking off their muffler?.
- AJ
Don't overlook the wires! They are crap. I like the Crane wires from RaceAndStreet - should be the last wires you'll need.

I have the FIPK also, and suggest you look at BTG exhaust... flow-thru, but not deafening...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Apr 2006, 10:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 03baggedturbo

For the turbo light the best mod is Stage one without a doupt..

Next is my system.. My new system V5 is perfict..

constructed out of aluminum (less heat, will not rust, way lighter)

New design fits with and without the stock air box ( so you can change it back and forth for shows, track.. ect.. )

It now fits the 5 speed and automatic..

Back to your question about silicone hoses connected to the turbo..
3 Ply hose up to 350 degrees
4 ply hose up to 500 degrees

I use all 4 ply hoses on all of my parts..
I have had lengthy conversations with a 2nd generation silicone hose guy and he said straight silicone hose will break down every time.. it can not stand the heat generated by the turbo..

I have installed my system on tons of cars.. and have seen on other cheaper intakes that use straight silicone hoses .. they crack. in the back where you can not see them.. on the seam.. not sure if this hose you are talking about can take the kind of heat generated by the turbo.. not worth melting something or possibly cracking the hose and sucking in road debree.. that costs a lot to fix..

If you have any questions feel free to email me @ prototypepower@aol.com

Thanks.. Adam
WWW.PROTOTYPEPOWER.COM
Old 10 Apr 2006, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks I found a site that sells 2.5" to 3.0" 90 degree bend pieces specifically for turbo applications. As long as the piece that contatcs the turbo can stand the heat it it should be fine. The rest of the i'm not as concerned with as the stock pipe is plastic already.

2004 Platnium Ltd Ed. Turbo. Stage 1, 06 composite intake, Voodoo III MBC, Custom axle back straight pipe, Spectre ABTT, Magstar Race wires, K&N filter,Springtech 2\" drop, Silencers removed, iridium plugs. Best ET 14.224 @ 97.6 on street tires