PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Autostick Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2003, 06:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Autostick Problem

Hi there,
I have a Turbo with autostick, I notice with the vehicle coasting at 80km/h or 50mph and engine turning below 2000rpm. The transmisson seems to have a dead spot where neither the vehicle will accelerate with increase rpm until it passes well over the 2000 mark. Yesterday, my check engine light came on after this occurance while trying to climb a hill. I was wondering whether any of you autostick owners have the same problem as me. If so, what did the dealer done to ratify this problem.

Many thanks
Old 18 May 2003, 09:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have a 2003 GT with auto stick with 8K miles no problems yet
Old 18 May 2003, 10:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Good for you, the car is going back for service this coming Tuesday. Hopefully the dealer can tell me more. Mine only have 1254KM on the clock.
Old 18 May 2003, 11:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2003 GT with AS. At 3k mile after oil change and driving from the dealer the car would not shift, I put it in AS and tried to manual shift with no luck. Then the car died. Put it in N to start and then D, 1/4 mile later it died again in route back to the dealer. From this point it was down hill (that has meaning in it's self)by this time all the light were high-lighted PRND as the shifter was in that gear. At 50 yards away the check-Eng light came on and car died again as I pulled up to the service bay. It was Fri. afternoon and the Trans guy had gone home. I left the car and the gave me a loaner. Picked the car up on Tue. The said it was a connector not pluged in all the way.????????????????? Next Wed it happened again. I was 2 miles from the dealer and took the back way. If I stoped it died. So I ran stop signs and at red lights I put it in N and gave it some gas to keep it from dying. I was leaving on a trip and came back three days later and they were still working on it. I think when it left it they thought I was full of s**t but they told me it happened when the drove it. The called DC tech support six times for help. The end problem was a bad wire. Did you know if you fart in your PT they have a sensor and error code for that. Three weeks and know problems. I don't think it was a bad wire but who knows.

Red
Old 19 May 2003, 12:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PK Cruiser

almost 6k with no issues (yet)...

\'03 Black Turbo, Autostick, Removed Intake Silencers, K&N Drop in Filter, MOPAR BOV, Eibach Springs, Kenwood CD/MP3 Player & amp, 12 inch Sub...soon to be a member of the Stage I club...
Old 19 May 2003, 12:35 am
Regular Cruiser

I'll find out Tuesday what their explaination is for my problem. Monday is a holiday in Canada. I think is a transmission problem. As it has zero power between 1500-2000rpm while cruising at 80km/h even if you step on the gas. As long as you keep it above 2000rpm everything runs fine.
Old 19 May 2003, 01:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

I am not an authority on those auto transmissions (or any other for that matter) but what is the stall speed supposed to be for the torque converters? If it is at 2000 RPM you won't get a lot of grab till it hits that point. Also I would suspect that in 4th gear the TC should be locked up, maybe it isn't locking?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 19 May 2003, 07:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Pull the trouble code from the ECU. It is P1188, any idea what it stand for, and what trigger it.
Old 20 May 2003, 09:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The P1188 is the code that seems to be most popular when the boost is raised with a boost controller. It is a Throttle Inlet Pressure error, as reported by the TIP sensor that is on the firewall just ahead of the speed control cable as it exits the speed control servo mounted with the solenoids on the passenger side strut tower.

The error indicates (from what I can gather from comments made about it) that there is pressure present when the PCM doesn't expect it to be - (throttle is closed, as an example). That should indicate that the system isn't venting pressure quick enough when the turbo starts to spool down...

When the turbo spools up, the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) and TIP (Thottle Inlet Pressure) sensors report to the PCM (Power Control Module). Other info is also reported, but these seem to be the ones in the circuit that sends data to the PCM and in return, the PCM regulates boost pressure by using the wastegate and surge actuator solenoids to vent boost pressure and regulate exhaust pressure entering the turbo.

Apparently, the boost controller, by raising the low end boost pressure, slows the speed in which the PCM is updated, or sends data to the PCM that is not in agreement with what the PCM anticipates..

This seems to manifest itself as pressure measured at the throttle inlet when the PCM has already made it's attempt to vent it before it reaches that point. This is probably a result of the boost controller holding the low end of the boost curve that the PCM tries to maintain, (based on it's reports from various sensors), higher than the PCM anticipates (based on data sent back by the TIP). This is what seems to create the P1188 error code.

It is possible that the firmware for the TCM (Transmission Control Module) part of the autostick system to attempt to "de-link" itself from the drive system until the cause of the TIP error is eliminated, or verified to no longer exist at that given moment before re-engaging the transmission.

The ATX (auto trans) is controlled by CVI (Clutch Volume Index) readings. The CVI is a measure of pressure readings in the clutch portion of the transmission. I cannot fully explain the whole process, but according to what I have red in the service manual, the CVI data sent to the TCM/PCM controls the way the PCM/TCM tells the transmission to operate. There are different shift points based on temp and CVI, and various preventative measures taken when the PCM/TCM anticipate a problem, based on data that they receive.

It is a possibility that the p1188 error wasn't anticipated in the programming of the PCM/TCM, and it is causing them to tell the trans not to do anything rash at low speeds, when boost starts to raise quickly and the trans is in too high a gear to respond.

This seems to be the most prevalent situation in the 5 speed models, when the error occurs. In most cases, the 5 speed is in too high a gear and below 2500 RPM, (actually below the spool start speed of 2300 RPM), and the system senses something close to a WOT (wide open throttle) situatiuon. Until the engine builds speed above the 2300 RPM start of spool to the 3500 RPM inherit start of powerband, the engine "lugs". When this happens, it could be a combination of things such as O2 sensor(s) reporting too rich a mixture, Spark Misfire, and the pressure on the throttle inlet being too high for the current RPM/Gear Ratio/O2 readings being sent to the PCM/TCM.

Due to the way in which the Task Manager portion of the PCM records error conditions, then re-tests for integrity of the data, combined with monitoring other diagnostic data; the illumination of the MIL code p1188 doesn't occur at the precise point in time as the situation that caused the error. The error code may pop up minutes, hours or days from the time of the actual data being created.

During this time that the p1188 code is 'maturing" from the first data sent to the PCM indicating higher than anticipated Throttle Inlet Pressure, until the time that the Task Manager sees the error again within the cons
Old 20 May 2003, 09:15 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If you aren't running a boost controller, this info that you are reporting is the best news yet to those who are either running a boost controller thinking about adding one.

If the p1188 error occurs on a stock system with normal boost management system in factory configuration, it indicates that there is a real error in the PCM/TCM firmware.

If this error occurs in the field on a stock setup, DCX will have to find a way to correct the firmware, and in doing so, may allow some performance to slip out of the computer control in the process.

As it is, the PCM seems to dedicate a major portion of its processing time to restricting the performance potential of the engine/drivetrain system.

Maybe DCX will find that the effort made to de-rate the available power of the system in order to sell a computer "upgrade" as a performance option is a marketing ploy that backfired. It would be nice to get the performance the system was designed to produce without having to pay extra for it, while being led to believe that it is a Stage I performance upgrade.

As a possible side note, check the Green Connector going to the PCM. It should be the connector closest to to the Driver's Side edge of the engine compartment. The PCM is on the firewalll above and to the left of the Master Cylinder/Brake Vacuum Booster. If the Green connector isn't firmly plugged in, it may be a possible cause.