PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Crusier battery dies after 5 days of no use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2006, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Crusier battery dies after 5 days of no use.

I have 2 PT cruisers, a 2003 and 2005(CONVERTIBLE). I have had both cars towed to the dealer 3 times each now because if I do not drive either car for 5 days the battery goes dead. Yesterday was the third time the convertible went dead and couldn't get in the car without almost breaking the window. The dealers mechanic told me that the battery draw was within spec and that with the new cars the computer runs 24/7. He say the car battery will go dead if you do not drive it and that I should try to keep the battery charged. Has anyone had this problem. So far I haven't had to pay for anything but the 2003 Warranty is almost up. I'm trying to figure if this is normal.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 05:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like another story from the dealer. I go up north two to three weeks at a time, sometimes a bit longer to visit the grandkids. Usually we take the wife's car and my PT sits in the garage the whole time. It always starts right up when I come home.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 05:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PT OWNER

I have 2 PT cruisers, a 2003 and 2005(CONVERTIBLE). I have had both cars towed to the dealer 3 times each now because if I do not drive either car for 5 days the battery goes dead. Yesterday was the third time the convertible went dead and couldn't get in the car without almost breaking the window. The dealers mechanic told me that the battery draw was within spec and that with the new cars the computer runs 24/7. He say the car battery will go dead if you do not drive it and that I should try to keep the battery charged. Has anyone had this problem. So far I haven't had to pay for anything but the 2003 Warranty is almost up. I'm trying to figure if this is normal.
I had a similar problem with my 02 PT but the first time the dealer could not figure out what was wrong with it. 2nd time it happened, they traced it back to a bad positive cable that goes from the starter to the battery. It was corroded at the conection of the starter. Mine was under warranty at the time and they replaced the stater and both pos & neg. cables for free. Problem never came back after that.

Although I may have been partly to blame, because I keep my engine so clean for car shows, it has allot of chrome under the hood. I may have accedently sprayed some cleaning solution onto those battery cable wires. Causing them to corrode. I am very carefull to cover all wires and electrical stuff when I clean the engine now. Hope this helps. And let this be a good reminder to all who clean there engines, BE CAREFULL not to get any cleaner on any wires in the engine area.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The dealer has actually replaced the battery cables for both PT's. The problem is the current draw on the battery. I called the mechanic concerning installing a cut-out switch to disengage the battery when not in use. He seamed reluctant to recommend that since he claims the computer could loose the important settings my car has learned when I drive it. Also the settings for the radio, clock and other missceallenous information would be gone. He told me to go out in start the car every now and then (He couldn't tell me exactly for how long the car had to run or a what intervals. I think I will try another dealership.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 07:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PT OWNER

The dealer has actually replaced the battery cables for both PT's. The problem is the current draw on the battery. I called the mechanic concerning installing a cut-out switch to disengage the battery when not in use. He seamed reluctant to recommend that since he claims the computer could loose the important settings my car has learned when I drive it. Also the settings for the radio, clock and other missceallenous information would be gone. He told me to go out in start the car every now and then (He couldn't tell me exactly for how long the car had to run or a what intervals. I think I will try another dealership.
I think that is a good idea. I never heard of any car doing this. What happens to people who leave their car at the airport for several days in the parking lot. They have to get a jump every time they get back???? Makes no sence to me. Car should not be doing that.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 08:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Ur mechanic is whistling into the wind... Of course the computer runs 24/7 & doing so for weeks, maybe months, at a time should not cause the battery to die...if your batteries are good.

Find a dealer who will get to the cause of the problem...
2005 Turbo Lite, Stage 1, Mopar/Borla cat-back exhaust, Eibach swaybars, Bilstein coilovers, 18/8 TSW Montage wheels with 225/40/18 Exclaim UHPs, LED taillights, K & N drop-in & a few other goodies...
Old 30 Mar 2006, 04:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Different dealer.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 30 Mar 2006, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

after 5 days no way try a different dealer
Old 30 Mar 2006, 06:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

wierd.
2 cars, only thing in common is the owner.

I've seen aftermarket car stereos that would suck a battery dry in a week.

But anything that can eat a battery in 5 days has got to be drawing enough current to be detectable.

Insist that a mechanic check the electrical draw (pull out one fuse at a time, watching for the one that sparks; or tracking wires with an inductive ammeter.)

There is something definitly wrong here. Have you got some sort of common add-on accessory on both PTs?
Is there a Dealer-Add-On Alarm system?

.. My daily commute is via mass transit, so sometimes my PT goes 3-4 weeks without being started.
(Last December I replaced the factory battery in my 02 because it was showing signs of not being ready for cold weather).

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 03 Apr 2006, 12:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Everything on the car was put on by dealer or factory. I do seem to only have trouble with my Chryslers. I have a 2005 300 and I have a list of problems on the 300 forum. Anyway I will take the PT's to another dealer cause jumping batteries is getting old. Friday on the way home my 2003 PT power steering/AC belt shredded and broke. Have 15,000 miles on the car. Never heard of a belt breaking that early. I dropped it off at the dealer and told them warranty issue. I will wait and see if they charge me for it. I live in Houston so does anyone know any good dealerships with good mechanics other than Champion Chrysler on Interstate 45 or Finnigan Chrysler in Rosenberg.