PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Power Steering Hoses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2006, 09:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Power Steering Hoses

Last oil change my mechanic said both my hoses were slightly leaking and needed to be replaced soon! I have searched in here and on google and have NOT found any TSB's or callbacks. I did find one post on the weak clamps on some 2003 turbos. Is there an upgrade for my two PS hoses so I will get more than 50,000 miles on the next set?? [8)]
Old 05 Apr 2006, 09:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hopefully someone will come up with your TSB, but the only thing I've heard about power steering hoses is the re-call for the techs to check to see if they are rubbing on the bottom of the transaxle. Appearently, some of the hoses have rubbed enough to cause them to leak and then start a fire.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 05 Apr 2006, 10:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

is your 03 still covered ??
Old 05 Apr 2006, 11:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

No the 7/70 does not cover PS hoses according to my Dealer. But I still want to make the best possible repair. Has anyone heard about the clamps making the hoses leak or if the turbos hoses need to be rerouted or shielded like the normally aspirtated engines needed!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobs turbo pt

is your 03 still covered ??
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 05 May 2006, 04:09 am
Senior Cruiser

I decided since the leak was so small to let it go and see what happens. Cleaned off the hoses and clamps and filled the PS fluid to where it should be. It was down maybe 1/4 of a pint in three years. The hoses were covered with a thin film of something! No other signs of trouble!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 05 May 2006, 05:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SteelBlueGT

Last oil change my mechanic said both my hoses were slightly leaking and needed to be replaced soon! I have searched in here and on google and have NOT found any TSB's or callbacks. I did find one post on the weak clamps on some 2003 turbos. Is there an upgrade for my two PS hoses so I will get more than 50,000 miles on the next set?? [8)]
Last Fall I had a PS hose come loose, causing a sudden loss of power steering. (OK, I was making a sharp turn at high revs, why do you ask?) After getting to the nearest garage using Armstrong steering, the mechanic who looked at it said the hose fitting had just unscrewed, and he had never seen such a thing before. He tightened it up, refilled the fluid, and no troubles since.

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 17 Feb 2009, 06:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Power Steering Hoses

I know this post has been dormant for a while, but I have now experienced a problem with my power steering hose assembly. Just like SteelBlueGT, my hoses started seeping at the pressed fittings. At first I thought it was an oil leak, but not so. One hose was completely soaked on the outside and the rubber has started to deteriorate. I have an extended warranty, so I only had to pay the $100 deductible. The part alone was over $83. Chrysler allowed 1.2 hours, but my tech needed more time. On my 03 Turbo, he had to remove the front grill and raise the fan assembly to access the power steering pump. Everything is now good! :-) My "baby" is an early 03 model built in October 2002 with 24K. I would suspect that this failure is both a time and miles event. Have any of you experienced similar problems? Just curious?
Old 17 Feb 2009, 07:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Power Steering Hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I know this post has been dormant for a while, but I have now experienced a problem with my power steering hose assembly. Just like SteelBlueGT, my hoses started seeping at the pressed fittings. At first I thought it was an oil leak, but not so. One hose was completely soaked on the outside and the rubber has started to deteriorate. I have an extended warranty, so I only had to pay the $100 deductible. The part alone was over $83. Chrysler allowed 1.2 hours, but my tech needed more time. On my 03 Turbo, he had to remove the front grill and raise the fan assembly to access the power steering pump. Everything is now good! :-) My "baby" is an early 03 model built in October 2002 with 24K. I would suspect that this failure is both a time and miles event. Have any of you experienced similar problems? Just curious?
Had the power steering hoses replaced on my wife's na '04 at an independent shop for $100. Dealer wanted $200.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 21 Feb 2009, 10:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
i paid just over a 100.00 for both the pressure and return lines. your dealer is a real schister.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 06:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Heres a diy on how to change power steering hose,,ive done this many times on different autos and it works perfectly..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 03 Sep 2013 at 02:09 am.