Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clutch problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2006, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clutch problem

I've got an '03 GT with 44k on it. A few months back I started having an issue with the clutch. Sometimes when first starting the car in the morning I would step on the clutch, the pedal felt the same as usual, but the clutch was not disengaging completely and I couldn't put it in gear. Pumping the pedal once or twice solved the issue. Originally I thought it might have something to do with the cold mornings, but today I had this happen for the first time while driving. I was at a stop and felt something weird in the pedal. I couldn't put it in gear. Once again an extra pump worked just fine. Is this air in the line? Any thoughts.
Old 08 Apr 2006, 08:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

did you check the clutch fluid level?

Note that it will normally go down over time to compensate for clutch wear.

top it off if necesary. (what to use is in the manual and embossed on the cap)

you might have a slow leak and/or air in the line.

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 10 Apr 2006, 03:25 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Probably the slave cylinder.Had the same problem. Took it to the dealer who said there was no problem. Resevoir (previously filled) was empty. Lo and behold, 2 weeks later, clutch failed altogether. Get it fixed.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 10 Apr 2006, 09:32 am
Young Cruiser

I felt something similar when we test drove our (23K mile) '03 GT before purchasing at the dealer. We took the car home hoping that a simple clutch fluid change / bleed would take care of it, but it didn't. After 3 days the slave started leaking so we took it back to the dealership for a warranty replacement of the clutch slave. It turns out that this is not at all an uncommon occurance, so I expect that you're probably in the same boat.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out
Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 19 Apr 2006, 09:47 pm
Young Cruiser

any mechanicaly inclined people know if this is the same thing as wwhen you take your foot off clutch in neutral and more noise (ticking or something) comes from engine. Step on clutch, noise (the specific one above) goes away? Isn't that like the release bearing?? Is that covered in the higher warantee?
Old 19 Apr 2006, 11:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Same thing happened to my '03 GT. A couple of times with clutch pushed in and starting the car lurched forward. Thought it was me. A few weeks later the slave cylinder leaked out and dealer fixed under warranty.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic