PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

TURBO LITE??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2006, 08:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default TURBO LITE??

[:I]Who has an automatic turbo-lite?? How does it perform?? MPG and any other info,,, thanks [8)]
Old 23 May 2006, 11:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

I do (all Turbo Lites are automatics, by the way) and I didn't see any real difference in fuel economy since adding Stage 1. What I did notice was the additional 60HP and tire smoke. If your line of thought is a quest for good fuel economy, then any kind of turbo PT is probably not the way to go.

I can still get 24mpg on the freeway, but that's doing 80~90mph on a pretty darn hilly stretch of the 15 freeway between Corona and San Diego, round trip. I'm sure if I was driving across some flat state at 65mph I could probably get 27~28mpg. A mixed tank (city & freeway driving) usually nets me around 19mpg. As for power, I was unimpressed with the basic 180HP but I had no intentions of keeping it that way - Stage 1 was in the plan when I bought the car. It's a 2004 Platinum Series you see, so it has a gorgeous two-tone interior that prompts many people to ask me if it's custom. With the addition of Stage 1 the car now runs a mid/low 14 second 1/4 mile
[8)][8)]
Old 24 May 2006, 12:41 am
Young Cruiser

I have the turbo lite and just love it. I did replace the air filter with a drop in K&N and just put on a Fowmaster duel exhaust. I can jump on the interstate and be at speed before I get into traffic. I can pass on a two lane road without worries and certainly can climb up any mountain pass here in Washington State without slowing down. I have 7,000 miles on it and my mileage has consistently been hovering at 21-22 mpg.
Old 24 May 2006, 09:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I do. Traded in my '02 w/87,000 miles and got an '05 "lite". I now have about 23,000 miles on it. I just checked, and over the last 5,000 + miles, I'm averaging 25.31 MPG!!! That's a MPG or 2 BETTER than my '02 - and on regular.
I love it. Power when I need it.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 May 2007, 11:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: TURBO LITE??

I just got my first PT, awsome car. I have the convertable 2006 with the lite turbo. I have averaged 24mpg on combined driving. I traded in a jeep that got 8 to 12 mpg so I'm very happy. The Jeep was a 4.7 liter and I think the pt would outrun it. My only question is to myself: why didn't I get a PT long ago....lol
Old 25 May 2007, 01:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, Mike.
Better late than never!
The hardest part with the turbo is keeping my foot out of it ...
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 May 2007, 07:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You're supposed to keep your foot out of it?????
Heck that's the fun of it - blowing away much much more expencive rides.
OK, so I'm 58 and should set an example. Guess all I can say is "second childhood" LOL
Old 04 Jun 2007, 02:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikee1159 View Post
You're supposed to keep your foot out of it?????
Heck that's the fun of it - blowing away much much more expencive rides.
OK, so I'm 58 and should set an example. Guess all I can say is "second childhood" LOL
Same here! I'm 60 and on my second PT Turbo. The first one was an '04 Lite and my current is the GT. Both turbos work great and what I miss about my lite was that I could use regular gas. However, the GT can keep with with a Dodge Magnum Hemi till 100 MPH. I was the guy on the Dodge's bumper. You should have seen his face.
Old 04 Jun 2007, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK, Guys! Gotcha beat! I'm 64 and I am on my second Turbo HO. Got one of the first GT's made and then sold it in 2005 to a fellow in Phoenix, through eBay. Now I have a 2005 GT ragtop. The car is so much fun to drive, and my wife drives it herself most of the time.

Here is our secret: Since she drives the GT ragtop most of the time, when we are out together and I put my foot into it, she screams.........with glee!

She never did that when we rode in my 300M or in my '88 Maxima when I "put my foot into it"..... Guess since she drives the GT too, the jollys come regardless of who is at the wheel. I wonder how she drives the car when she is alone????

Besides, she seldom screams anymore (when we are doing anything else).......if you know what I mean!

Soooo, enjoy the ride!!!! My words, not hers.....
2005 PT GT Turbo HO Autostick Convert. --- Bauhaus Progressive Rate Lowering Springs 2.0" frt/1.75" rear, Tokico HP Blue Struts/Shocks, Freedom Front Strut Brace, K&N Filter, Crane FireWires, MOPAR Turbo BOV, TOYO PROXES TPT 215/50/17 HP Skins, Sylvania Silverstar Headlamps, IPCW Clear LED Taillights, TYC Back-up Lights, 115db Airhorn, 13" Billet Radio Antenna w/ chrome bezel, Chrome: Fuel Door Cover, Trunk Lid Struts, Door Handle Cups, Door Spears, Hood Portholes, Washer Nozzles, GT logo valve stem caps, Steering Wheel Spoke Trim, NEW! Chrome Upper body trim, 30% window tint side and rear, Sirius One Radio, factory GPS.

Other MOPAR in our family: 2005 Pacifica Limited AWD
Past Mopars:
2003 Cruiser PT GT Turbo 4dr and fifteen others back to (my first and favorite) 1965 Plymouth Satellite 426 Hemi Conv't.
Old 06 Jun 2007, 08:00 am
Regular Cruiser

I have both the lite and GT turbos. The lite gets worse mileage but that is partially because my wife drives it locally and I get more freeway miles. I like the responsiveness of the lite off the line. However, I notice the missing power on the hills.