Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
GT HP Output

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 May 2003, 11:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default GT HP Output

Here's some good news for us PT Turboheads: Road and Track (June 03) reports that after a dyno test of the
Mitsubishi TD04LR turbocharged engine in the Dodge SRT-4 (same engine as used in the GT) the output at the crankshaft was 238hp. Subtracting 16 hp for drivetrain loss provides 222hp to the front wheels. Chrysler was asked what's up? The reply was " it's always better to be a little conservative on your power ratings" Beware dragging this souped up Neon. It's at least 300lb lighter. The downside is it is NOT a PT Cruiser.

Pete
Stone White 03 GT-Autostick; Red and Blue Pinstripes; Moonroof
Old 23 May 2003, 06:14 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Gary C

actually they're usually around 500-700lbs lighter, IF i remember correctly, for the SRT to the GT cruiser.
and I have a dyno chart on my 5 speed and i put down the numbers in my sig, being 209HP and 248lbs to the front wheels with less than 2K on the odometer.
I was definatly impressed for being 100% stock *btw i dynoed before the SRT's were be dynoed like crazy, so it was a pretty big shock to *me* anyway. just considering the differences in the SRT's engine setup to the GT's setup, all things considered i was impressed. [?]
Old 23 May 2003, 10:43 am
Cool Cruiser

The SRT-4 uses a bigger intercooler, has a different intake system and a different PCM and has an exhaust system without mufflers. They have been dynoing out at between 220 - 228 horse power at the wheels. I have a number of friends that own and have dynoed the SRT-4.

Mike
Old 23 May 2003, 05:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

i'd like to dyno my gt once by MBC is installed...running 14.5psi at spike. I already have straight 3" exhaust and an intake, which are substantial mods for a turbo car...i'm expecting to see some decent numbers[8)]GO TO THE PERFORMANCE FORUM AND CHECK OUT THE "GEARHEADS! EXHAUST QUESTION???" THREAD, AND READ DSM'S POST...
Old 23 May 2003, 05:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptcruzin42

where and how exactly did you get your 3" done?
Old 23 May 2003, 06:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

my local exhaust shop custom fabricated the whole thing for me, from the cat back...i'm still looking for a down pipe though.it's split by a Y-pipe post cat-conv. then mandrel bent out to either side with tip mounted a little infront of the rear wheels...if i had a digi i'd post pics, but unfortunately i don't
Old 23 May 2003, 06:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptcruzin42

Do yo uknow if you gained more power or not? I have a setup similar to yours only mine is regular piping and ocmes out the back. I've been reading about people saying that a "no-muffler" system is bad now, and I'm not sure.
Old 23 May 2003, 09:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

i would not be concerned at all. A no muffler system is far better for turbo cars than one with a muffler...if you don't believe me just go to any supra or rx-7 board and check out what they are saying. These cars are turbo and will smoke a pt any day of the week whether we like it or not.As for performance gains, i would imagine that a good exhaust will yield decent hp and ft/lb gains, but i won't estimate gains, i'll wait for the dyno sheets. What i can tell you is that turbo cars w/ a good full exhaust on average will gain between 15 and up to 30 hp at the wheels. Keep in mind that a 30hp gain is usually seen on twin setups...there's no way we've gained that much. Having a good setup is a key building block to future high performance gains
Old 24 May 2003, 12:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Hey, the twin turbo RX-7 with just bolt ons will spin the dyno at over 350 wheel horspower. How in the 'ell would we beat that??? I have a friend that has one and spent the day with him at the dynoshop. That car will press you thru the seat back.

Mike
Old 24 May 2003, 12:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

I've owned a '93 TT RX-7 since Aug '92. As I've posted previously, it's my fun car while the GT is my "dog-hauler," if you'll excuse the term. I've got all the mods, but run a conservative 13 psi boost to my stock turbos, putting down 337 rear wheel hp.

On the exhaust question. because the rotary is such a loud car unmuffled, most of the highly modified RX-7s run downpipe, resonated midpipe or hi-flow cat, and a cat-back. Without any muffling, the sound is untenable; and a wide-open rotary sounds terrible.

On the RX-7s, from its stock 255 hp, a downpipe gets you about 20 hp, a midpipe another 10, and the cat-back 5 hp. If you run all 3, you need an aftermarket ECU to control boost and feed additional fuel, or the engine is toast.

A piston engine will produce different percentage changes as the rotary is known to be more constrained by intake and exhaust.
\'05 Chevy 2500HD TurboDiesel
\'05 Suzuki SV650