Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
1st Oil Change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2003, 08:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 1st Oil Change

I switched over to Mobil 1 with a K&N oil filter. I was planning on using the Mobil oil filter but could not find the right size @$13.00. Went with the K&N for $9.50 This was an easy oil change. Everything is in one place and easy to get to. My last car/suv Pathfinder had to remove 8 bolts to remove under pannel then work like a dog to get to the filter. [8)]
Old 29 May 2003, 08:47 pm
Young Cruiser

How many miles did you put on before the change? What's recommended? I know - I should just look at the damn book....
tezz
Black 03 PT/GT - Autostick,Stage 1, Mopar BOV, DC rear sway, K&N filter/white baffle out, Magnaflow cat back, Eibach springs, billet strut bar, AMX CAI,3bagged UCP, Euro tail lenses, Revell shifter, misc. do-dads
Old 30 May 2003, 01:35 am
Dedicated Cruiser

The first oil change for the turbo engine is recommended at 3000 miles. It is my understanding that one should not switch to synthetic oil until 5000 or 6000 miles to be sure all engine parts are properly seated.
Old 30 May 2003, 09:46 am
Young Cruiser

Todays engines do not need a dino oil breakin. Many engines including the SRT-4 have Mobil 1 from the factory. Change to syn oil as soon as you can.
Old 30 May 2003, 11:32 am
Dedicated Cruiser

PT GT, is there any real advantage of switching to sythetic oil anyway? If you use a good quality 5-30 weight oil and change both your oil and filter every 3000 miles won't this just be fine--at 25% of the cost compared to using Mobil One? I have been told by people, including Chrysler Service Advisors/Managers, it is not worth the difference.
Old 30 May 2003, 01:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you value your turbo you will switch. My personl experience with turbo's and dino oil taught me that. My first turbo was a Saab turbo. It only ran for 40K miles before the "coking" of the oil on the hot bearings ground them up. The warranty covered a new turbo and a friend recommended synth oil. I ran that turbo to 150K and sold it still in good shape. My next turbo was a Volvo turbo. I got over 220K miles on the turbo with synth oil before I sold it still running great.

I worked in oil refineries summers during college and remember the "coking units" that were like huge ovens that baked what I guess were leftovers from refining and formed a coal-like material, but in huge chuncks. This is basically what is happening on a small scale on the super hot turbo bearings. Even if you let it run for a couple minutes when you park it still happens. Synth does not do this. It is REALLY cheap insurance.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 30 May 2003, 02:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Switching to Synthetic oil can actually improve horsepower jut by letting the engine turn with less resistance. I didn’t believe it until I saw it first hand in my old mustang. My friends and I were battling this same question so; we took it to the non-biased Dyno. We first tested the car with regular Ha***ine oil. It did 198 horses to the rear tires. That same day we switched to Mo***e 1 oil. Ran the engine to have the same engine temp as in the previous test. Ran it on the Dyno and got 201 horses at the tire!!! Three horses increase!!! That made me a believer. I am not saying that it will make noticeable horsepower difference but a little here, a little there...
Old 30 May 2003, 02:28 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

If I switch to Mobil One at my next oil change (6000 miles) will I need a "special" oil filter or can I use the Mopar filter listed in my PTC-GT service booklet? [:I]
Old 30 May 2003, 03:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Advantages - the reasons above are said well. There have been studies that have shown that oil is oil if changed a recommended intervals but they did not deal with a turbo engine. Mobil 1 has a special oil filter to use with their sys oil. Many oil and oil filter studies have been done and I will try to find some on the Impala SS forum. It went into great detail about filters. I would think any good quality filter would work. I personally use mobil 1 oil and filters because of past experience and the cost difference is ok with me. I change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles. I have done this on past cars with excellent results. Even on a turbo car I feel this will work out. There may be some hype associated with syn oil but it has served me well.
Old 30 May 2003, 03:39 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Thanks for the info, PT GT.