Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Picture of Turbo Intake Location?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 May 2003, 09:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Picture of Turbo Intake Location?

Hello-

I sale an aftermarket front license plate bracket that mounts on the plastic panel that lies behind the base of the front grill. One potential customer sent me a note saying that it may impact the turbo.

If you look at the underside of the front of the PT, there are two scews that attach a plastic flap towards the rear of this plastic panel. Is there an intake for the turbo in this location? I haven't looked at any turbos as yet, and want to make sure there are no problems. I figured someone on this forum would have the answer.

Thanks in advance,

Ty
Old 28 May 2003, 09:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The air intake to the intercooler for the turbo is located behind the lower grille. Installing a front license plate holder will create wind shear and will greatly lessen the potential of the intercooler to properly function.

Also, the installation of the license plate holder involves installing 4 self-tapping, coarse thread; flange head hardware appendages with a strange resemblence to a wood screw. They auger their way in, while displacing the contents of the bumper that were there prior to their intrusion.

The end results are bulging holes, whith wisps of bumper material oozing from the whelp of a hole that the auger hardware used to attach the plate holder; times 4. Average cost to have a body shop correct their (dealership's) mistake is around $150.00. That is fine, as long as whatever is used to fill the hole doesn't decide to migrate later on and cause the holes to be noticable again. Plus, it is hard to get a perfect match on the bumper when it has to be repainted and recleared after the holes are repaired.

I would not accept delivery of a GT with a front license plate torqued on by the dealership. Had I known the danger of the location of the front license plate when I bought mine, I would have refused delivery, or would have accepted it after they installed a new front bumper and fascia; at the same price for the deal that was negotiated prior to my refusal to accept it as-is.

As a basic rule, if you can see something that looks like a radiator (which could be oil cooler, A/C condenser, intercooler, transmission cooler, etc.) behind a potential mounting location, look for another place to mount. Anything that could block air flow through these devices lessens their effectiveness.
Old 28 May 2003, 09:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ty, I am not sure about the screws you are taking about but here is a picture of the front of my GT.

The intercooler for the turbo is somewhat visible in the lower grille. Anything that blocks a substantial amount of the lower grille will be VERY detrimental to the GT. If the license is mounted below the bumper, it would need to be offset to one side or the other to maximize the amount of air getting to the intercooler.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 28 May 2003, 10:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Here's another pic. I have heard here and elsewhere that blocking the lower grille is a no-no. I think it's even in the owner's manual.
Old 28 May 2003, 10:16 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Right on! The turbo car needs all the air it can get.[|)]

Welcome bigbrowndog to the only GT Turbo Forum on the Internet...[^]

Old 28 May 2003, 10:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

I purchased the frount license relocation bracket from you... Why dont you cut it like you wanted to tring to make an air dam... and I will try it. and see what happens
Old 29 May 2003, 12:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The intercooler is behind the lower grill. A plate bracket that attaches along the underside of the front bumper...like the krusr bracket, will directly obstruct airflow to the INTERCOOLER, not just the radiator...that will decrease ariflow and mess with the turbocharger's effectiveness. Wouldn't advise it.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 29 May 2003, 09:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Was going to install the Kruzer bracket, bought it as a matter a fact but wasn't willing to risk melt down! had the body shop paint the front bracket to match and I think it looks great!
Old 29 May 2003, 01:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

I built a braket that offsets the plate to the passenger side. I keep meaning to borrow a digi cam and take a pic. I will try to this PM and post it.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 01 Jun 2003, 11:47 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Hey kgdptblue,
I was inspired by u to paint my plate frame.
It's so much better, now that it is body color, it draws the eye less. Now all u see is the plate, rather than a nasty black frame.

(I know, I have to change the plates [B)]

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html