Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
plastic intake install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Oct 2006, 03:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default plastic intake install

can an 03 take the plastic intake manifold with everything else connecting up like normal?

or, would this create a problem without being able to reprogram
Old 12 Oct 2006, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes, there is enough leeway in the programming that you will see a benefit from this mod. Not much, but a tangible increase in power. I'm sure your butt dyno will feel it more than anything. However, it is a worthwhile mod as it gets exponentially better with each succesive mod. It is smoother flowing, and is much better balanced runner to runner than the aluminum mani, not to mention weighs less and doesn't heatsoak as readily. of course, rszappa will be here shortly to dispute this entire post.....
Old 12 Oct 2006, 05:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yup...Save your mobey and take your girlfriend or wife out to dinner.....
Old 12 Oct 2006, 07:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

It is a much better design than the aluminum one. Flows much better. The more mods you do the better this mod will become. You will have to make your own bracket to attach the oil dip stick. I think some folks have used an L bracket.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 13 Oct 2006, 08:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Nobody has regretted doing it. It doesn't cost much and has no downside. [?]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Oct 2006, 12:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

I just installed the plastic intake manifold this week end, and it is really a pain in the ass! I have small hands and forearms and I had trouble reaching the 15mm lower support bracket bolt. Disconnect the battery before attempting to remove it as it is close to starter terminals!On the thermostat housing rotate the hose clamp towards the head as the plastic manifold sets lower than the aluminum manifold (much lower!)The new thermostats don't have the notches as the OEM ones do, so I had to cut them so the seal would fit properly. The seal has 3 bosses that fit into the notches, and for some reason the thermostats don't come with new seals! I bought the 180 deg. and the one called out for th GT, the 195 deg., but I installed the 180 deg. A turkey baster works great for coolant removal rather than draining too much and getting air pockets ( as suggested by pt cruise). Use compressed air to blow off the contamination around the injectors and manifold before you start, then use a vacuum to clean threaded holes and ports when you have the manifold off.
The plastic manifold does stay much cooler than the aluminum manifold which should help in stop and go driving.I left my NGK iridiums (heat range 6)gapped at .045 to get a better comparison between the two manifolds, and it worked just fine!It does seem to pull harder at hegher RPM range, but not noticeable at the lower range. This is a week end project so give your self enough time to do the job right!
Old 13 Nov 2006, 06:49 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm going to be installing a plasti mani soon, I noticed that there were no gaskets, instead there are o-rings around each port. Are gaskets needed or is there some type of compound needed to seal the new manifold?
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Mods On The Way: AGP Wastegate Actuator
Old 13 Nov 2006, 07:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[^]no gaskets required. the o-rings are the gaskets. Have fun and enjoy.