Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Not sure what this is ... help, please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Dec 2006, 02:13 am
Young Cruiser

Default Not sure what this is ... help, please.

Here's what happening: While driving there is a loud, in a deep manner, somewhat grinding noise coming from what seems to be not so much the engine but the tranny area.

What I've noticed: The noise does not come about during idling, or while stopped (i.e. revving the engine.) It only occurs during driving times, increasing in sound level with the speed of the car. (Highway driving produces headaches at times.) There is absolutely nothing wrong with transmission in regards to shifting (I have a stick). Tranny does not stick, miss, or anything like that. What seems to be the most interesting item is that the noise goes away (instantaneously) when I turn the wheel left. For instance, while on the highway you have curves or slight turns in the road; while turning left the noise goes away, while turning right the noise increases.

Any ideas? Has anyone experienced this? I do have 80,000 miles and never have had a mechanical issue to date. Is it the steering column, bushings, or bearings?
Old 02 Dec 2006, 10:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

sounds like it could be a bearing noise [:I]
Old 02 Dec 2006, 01:16 pm
Young Cruiser

I'd agree - it's probably either a wheel bearing or a cv joint problem. The cv joints usually rattle mostly in turns, though if they're far enough gone they'll rattle a bit on straight road as well.

You might also do a visual to make sure nothing has come partially loose - brake assembly, suspension components, etc.
2005 Turbo Lite, Stage 1, Mopar/Borla cat-back exhaust, Eibach swaybars, Bilstein coilovers, 18/8 TSW Montage wheels with 225/40/18 Exclaim UHPs, LED taillights, K & N drop-in & a few other goodies...
Old 03 Dec 2006, 05:01 am
Cool Cruiser

If not a cv joint could it be abnormal tire wear.
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Mods On The Way: AGP Wastegate Actuator
Old 04 Dec 2006, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Wheel bearing my first guess, CV joint second.
Let us know what it was when you cure it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Dec 2006, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

keep us posted and good luck !!
Old 06 Dec 2006, 10:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

CV joint is my first guess. I just had one replaced and I am hearing more and more people having similar noises and problems. They will go a long time after they start to make noise though.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 08 Dec 2006, 12:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

You have a bad left front wheel bearing. When you turn to the left you take weight off the left wheel bearing(unload it)and the noise goes away. When you turn right you load the left wheel bearing and the noise gets louder. That is how you test for a wheel bearing noise.

Bob
Old 26 Dec 2006, 06:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Bmanmg was right! Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.