Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
turbo died

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2003, 01:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default turbo died

Just thought I'd pass this on to those of you with the GT 5 speed manual. I had the recall done the end of April. I have put another 2000 mi on since then. Yesterday, while driving my m-i-l around (no, not around the bend...just around town) my turbo gave out or up as the case may be. The engine kept trying to die on me, so I turned off the AC (Phx. has been hot) and hoped that would help. Ha! As long as the revs were below 2 grand, the car ran ok. At 2 we were suffering whiplash. This a.m. I called and was told there was something wrong with the flywheel...yeah, the "new" "improved" one. They couldn't tell me what the problem was tho....[:I] This could prove to be interesting....
Old 01 Jun 2003, 03:06 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptcruzin42

My car did something similar one time, it would start puttering and revving and backfiring and jumping right around and after 2 grand, had to shove the pedal through it and around 3rd gear it would stop, I had a cracked spark plug.
Old 01 Jun 2003, 11:41 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Like a misfire?

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 01 Jun 2003, 12:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTGT Redman

Like a misfire?
This wasn't a missfire. The engine was smooth until 2000 rpm. Then the engine acted as if I were just learning how to coordinate the clutch and gas. The engine would begin to stall. When I shifted to the next gear, the engine was smooth until 2000 rpms. The whole thing began again. Because I was in city traffic, I didn't want to do much experimenting!
serape
Old 01 Jun 2003, 04:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Keep us informed on what the final outcome is.

My 5 speed has an interesting habit of putting on the brakes for me when coasting, in gear, down an incline.

It doesn't matter much if the clutch is in, or if it is in neutral.

It is most noticable when in gear and foot off the gas in 5th gear.

A new bridge just opened after 5 years of construction near my house. It is supposed to be the 2nd largest of it's design in existence. Short description: High altitude with long approach and exit.

From day one, I have noticed the ABS system "hunting"; braking the car to maintain close to the same speed that it was going when I took my foot off the gas for the decline. I guess it was designed to keep the car from picking up speed on a long decline.

It won't put you into the windshield, or come near to locking the brakes, but you can feel it just the same. Same effect is felt with traction contol on or off.

Now, I can feel the same thing when coasing on level ground.

The first time it tries to do a panic stop by itself, it is going to get exorcised....

I doubt this has anything to do with your situation. However, I feel it is a symptom that will eventually be addressed with a computer flash update. I am predicting a correction in the way the data from the ABS wheel sensors is handled. This is what triggers the ABS to kick in when the traction control in on and the ABS data senses one wheel traveling faster than the other(s).

BTW, I had my clutch recall done on 5/13. I haven't put 1K miles on the clock since then.

It is unlikely, but possible that the whiplash potential you are experiencing may be partly from the ABS computer experiencing "computer will"; a situation in which the artificial ignorance (newage AI) imparted in it by Chrysler's programming starts trying to take control. [Note: Humor Attempt - disregard]

This may be another example of buggy firmware in the computerized functions; serially...
Old 01 Jun 2003, 05:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Exhaust Depot

Hmm, this is intristing. I wonder if the TD850 tranny we have will fit in smootly, no issues on this tranny yet or the flywheel.

E.D. 3\" Turbo Back, , HKS SSBOV, GReddy-e01 Boost controller, Greddy E-manage fuel management, Blitz Turbo Timer, JE pistons, Ported Head, E.D. Large Frontmount Intercooler, E.D. Tubular manifold with t3/t4 (prototype), IPP coilovers, Limited Slip.
Old 02 Jun 2003, 01:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, I managed to "reply" w/out putting anything down...
I questioned my service people early on about my turbo and its behavior on down hill runs. There is a nice long run on the way to Flagstaff (about 5 mi.) I had the cruise control on...The car felt like it was holding back then it would roll again. I was told it was turbo lag. It became much more noticible after the new fly wheel was put on my GT. I don't usually let the car just roll...too much traffic and the HP at the bottom of the hill get real upset!
Serape
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dalite

Keep us informed on what the final outcome is.

My 5 speed has an interesting habit of putting on the brakes for me when coasting, in gear, down an incline.

It doesn't matter much if the clutch is in, or if it is in neutral.

It is most noticable when in gear and foot off the gas in 5th gear.

A new bridge just opened after 5 years of construction near my house. It is supposed to be the 2nd largest of it's design in existence. Short description: High altitude with long approach and exit.

From day one, I have noticed the ABS system "hunting"; braking the car to maintain close to the same speed that it was going when I took my foot off the gas for the decline. I guess it was designed to keep the car from picking up speed on a long decline.

It won't put you into the windshield, or come near to locking the brakes, but you can feel it just the same. Same effect is felt with traction contol on or off.

Now, I can feel the same thing when coasing on level ground.

The first time it tries to do a panic stop by itself, it is going to get exorcised....

I doubt this has anything to do with your situation. However, I feel it is a symptom that will eventually be addressed with a computer flash update. I am predicting a correction in the way the data from the ABS wheel sensors is handled. This is what triggers the ABS to kick in when the traction control in on and the ABS data senses one wheel traveling faster than the other(s).

BTW, I had my clutch recall done on 5/13. I haven't put 1K miles on the clock since then.

It is unlikely, but possible that the whiplash potential you are experiencing may be partly from the ABS computer experiencing "computer will"; a situation in which the artificial ignorance (newage AI) imparted in it by Chrysler's programming starts trying to take control. [Note: Humor Attempt - disregard]

This may be another example of buggy firmware in the computerized functions; serially...
Old 02 Jun 2003, 01:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I am glad to hear that someone else has sensed somthing strange about the way the PCM treats coasting; both going down a hill or decline as well as general free-wheeling. This makes me feel that I am not being too imaginative.....

When all the smoke settles, my bet is that it will have something to do with the way the PCM, Anti-Lock controller and wheel speed sensors talk to each other and will either be corrected by flash update (fancy name for correcting the firmware; software that runs the PCM), or be blindly overlooked until the warranty is over.

We all should become well versed in the lemon law regulations; especially the ones that put a time-limit on resolving a problem, and address how long the car can be in the shop for a single complaint.

It is a shame to have to resort to that, but it may be what it will take on some of these firmware problems. It is unfortunate that the dealer takes the financial hit.

Years ago, I worked Warranty, Parts and MIS for Yugo of America, at the port level. Despite the fact that both the body and engine were time proven Fiat designs (each with over 10 years of past production to shake out problems), the quality control in Yugoslavia (where supervisors are voted in by the workers) was basically non-existent.

By the time the port processors traced most problems back to lack of QC and could implement a Quality Control program, the public was already shying away from the car.

That, coupled by the time it would take to process an international parts order to correct a problem discovered after purchase would almost always result in a buy-back situation under the Lemon Law (in states where it applied, due to the consecutive time the car was in the shop, or time between diagnosis and repair.

Automotive manufactures eventually feel the effect of this kind of building reputation; even though it probably affects the dealer level far more and far quicker.

We all know what the general opinion of Yugo is, and what appeared to be their demise. I got over 55,000 trouble free miles out of my company car, (Yugo) and sold it to a friend who needed a car for his daughter. By that time, the company had already gone under, and I had merged into the computer industry as a hardware technician.

Reading the lemon law supplement that came with your car every second that you are in the service area's waiting room may be an incentive for the dealer's Service Department to start lighting a fire under Chrysler Corporate early in the game for problem resolution.

My comments may sound overly negative, but the Service Department's tendancy to justify the problem of the phantom braking as "turbo lag" sets the stage. Due to the small size of the turbocharger used on the GT, there is minimal, if any, turbo lag.

There is a known problem of spooling too quick, and it is often seen with the cruise engaged and encountering an incline, or when the turbo is called upon to produce power when the RPM's are too low and the current gear is too high.

This is usually where the p1188 error is born, although it may take considerable time for it to "mature" enoung to be a full blown error code. Again, it will eventually take some firmware correction to make that error go away also.
Old 02 Jun 2003, 04:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Heh, he said Yugo. That's like, short for "Yugo screw yourself", right?
I remember watching paint bubble on one of those on a hot sunny day back in the 80's.
Old 02 Jun 2003, 11:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Gary C

as far as the new clutch assembly is concerned i have over 8000 miles on my warrantied replacement without a problem.
My odometer just cracked 10,000 miles the other day and I had my 'recall' done before there was even a recall with only 2,000 miles on the odometer. SO far, so good.