Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Outside Temp Gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jun 2003, 10:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Outside Temp Gauge

My temp gauge always reads 5 - 15 degrees warmer than it really is. Even at high speeds it's hotter on the gauge than it really is. Unless we really had three days in the 80's in DC last week.

Anybody else have this problem?

[:I]
Old 05 Jun 2003, 12:48 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Gary C

Mine is *spot* on with 95% of the thermometers that i drive by, and the one i have outside on the patio usually reads within a degree of the car. *shrug*
Old 05 Jun 2003, 09:29 am
Senior Cruiser

Jeff V

Don't really know but, there is a set up for the temp gauge in the owners manual. Yours could be set to the wrong Zone. Maybe, maybe not, but check it out.
Old 05 Jun 2003, 09:31 am
Young Cruiser

The zone setting in the manual has to do with the compass not the temp gauge.
Old 05 Jun 2003, 09:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Jeff,

The sensor for that gauge is mounted behind the upper grille. It is the one of 2 identical sensors mounted to the center brace in front of the A/C condenser. It is the one on the left side, facing the front. You could reverse the connectors to see if that makes a difference.

The other one reads ambient temp as one of the PCM Inputs. If you find that the one that is going to your overhead gauge is inaccurate by using this method, you should be able to get it covered by warranty within the first 12 months or 12,000 mile stage of the warranty.

I have relocated my outside temp sensor that feeds the overhead console to the inlet of the airbox, to give me an indication of the air temp entering the Turbo..
Old 05 Jun 2003, 11:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Mine does this also ,I suspect it's actually picking up heat/temp from the engine compartment . Especially when as as you say you've been running hard.
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 10 Jun 2003, 06:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mine takes forever to read the correct temp after it has been sitting still for a while. It seems pretty accurate after about 15 minutes running but when I get into stop and go summer heat driving it reads too hot again!! Is this normal cause it is in the engine compartment??
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 06:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It's not really in the engine compartment,,, it's mounted on a brace in front of the radiator . So it's possible under speeds to get cooling air and have it be inaccutate as well as getting warm air from the radaitor and fan blowing though it ! Makes me wonder how it's even close to some of the banks ,etc as I drive by !
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 10 Jun 2003, 10:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The overhead display has a weird logic scheme.

Here are some interesting tidbits from the service manual:

Since the ambient temperature sensor is in close proximity to the radiator, it can pick up engine heat giving a false “high” outside air temperature reading known as “Heat Soak”. In order to display a more correct outside temperature, the overhead console will not increase the displayed temperature until it detects movement in the compass over a two-minute period, to insure that there is adequate airflow over the sensor. “Movement over a two minute period” is best understood as once in the first minute, then some more detected movement in the second minute.

Honestly, I'm not making this up.

The link below is to another discussion on the temp sensor, and another possible use for it.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...hTerms=display
Old 10 Jun 2003, 11:21 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Mine usually takes 5 to 15 minutes to register anywhere close to the correct outside temp. It normally reads from 1 to 3 degrees higher than it actually is outside--assumed all along that this was caused by "turbo engine heat" since the temp on other Dodge vehicles owned has been very accurate soon after the engine was started.