Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Miscellaneous Zipper Wonderings . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2007, 02:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Miscellaneous Zipper Wonderings . . .

Hi all,

I've had an 06 GT manual for about 1000 miles now and every time I push the clutch in it sounds like a zipper moving, even when the car is off. Is this normal? It's entertaining when single females are in the car, but gets kind of annoying in heavy city traffic.

Also, anyone have any idea as to the torque capacity of the G288 tranny?

Oh and, I hear a quiet whine from the manual transmission when I let off the gas pedal in any gear. I know all manual transmission have some degree of gear whine, does anyone else notice this in theirs?

Thanks for any info to the above. I'm pretty fond of the car, got it for super cheap and it has utility with adequate public road power. The interior rivals many much nicer cars I've driven.

Thanks for the forum as well.
Old 01 Apr 2007, 07:18 am
Cool Cruiser

I'd say the zipper noise and transmisson noise is unusual. I have a 2003 GT with 28,000 miles on the odometer with no transmission noise.

The torque capacity of the Getrag tranny is listed at around 280 ft. lbs. but there is about a half dozen of us nationwide that are pushing close to 400 ft. lbs. of torque through it. The clutch is the weak point to run that much torque but there are a couple of aftermarket clutches with higher capacity.

Deen
GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 01 Apr 2007, 11:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I'll have it checked out at the dealer. The zipper noise sounds like it's actually coming from the clutch pedal lever itself.
Old 01 Apr 2007, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i would have it checked for sure and welcome to the board !!
Old 03 Apr 2007, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've got an appointment to have it all checked out on thursday, but get a load of this . . .

For the last few days I've heard a constant clicking noise from the front driver's side drivetrain, the idle is quite rough when the engine is hot, and there's a crease in my front bumper. The car only had 25 miles when I bought it. It's kind of scary that I haven't even mentioned the rattle on the right side of my sunroof and the rattle in the left side of my dash.

Just my luck huh, thanks for the other responses all.
Old 06 Apr 2007, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

keep us posted !! what happened to the bumper ??
Old 25 May 2007, 11:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Miscellaneous Zipper Wonderings . . .

Woooo, time for a long overdue update about problems that aren't yet resolved.

I first had my issues addressed at the Automall in Daytona Beach. Not only did they not find all but one of the issues, they kept my car overnight without informing me that they were done with it that day . . .

The front bumper crease (the only issue the Automall found) is long, but hard to see and the Automall wasn't willing to fix it. They said I would have to take it up with the dealer I bought it from. I expected this and expect to get no where in resolving the issue since I can't solidly prove I didn't cause the irregularity.

I'm dissatisfied to say the least, but still haven't addressed what happened with them because I am awaiting complete resolution of the car's problems with another dealership. Since I listed all of the issues with the Automall, those that are diagnosed and properly fixed by another dealership will increasingly contribute to proving civil disregard.

I addressed the rattling of the different parts of the interior myself before going to a new dealership by moving various panels and tightening some screws. I've got a pretty good amount of experience with this as I used to be deep into car audio and I've done some work with mechanics at different dealerships in the past.

So, I then took the car to Bill Bryan Chrysler in Leesburg. This dealership was much better and even kept the interior of my car as clean as when I dropped it off with them (unlike the Automall). They fixed the constant clicking from the drivetrain by "lubricating my calipers" and control arms in the front of the vehicle.

I've recently heard a creaking from the steering wheel and they ordered a "clock spring" to fix that. The dealership is going to install it next week.
I knew they wouldn't be able to identify the zipper noise from the clutch because the damn car wasn't making it when i brought it in. It didn't start making it until I was about 5 miles from home on the return trip. The universe has a great sense of humor.

I received the survey from Chrysler about my orginial buying experience, so I'll share that with you all in this post. I wrote about the bumper on my Chrysler survey among other things. The original sales person who wanted a "completely satisfied" response on the survey didn't get it because he lied and wasted my time.

He had not given me an owner's manual or maintenance logbook at the time of purchase. He said he would get it to me after he ordered it and it came in. I wasn't overly concerned with this because of the final price I paid, since I knew I could order a new manual for an insignificant amount. It would be much different if this was for a customer of myne, but it was just for me (hah).

Even so, I called him 3 times over the span of 2 months. He only returned my second call and said it was on order and he would send it to me. my third call was a month after I received the survey from Chrysler. I said that I hadn't received any word on the manual and would like to know the status before I fill out the survey. He didn't return the call so I put exactly what I thought of the entire situation. If not for this, he would have gotten a completely satisfied response on the survey and I would have overlooked the standard salesmen bs he fed me inside the showroom.

That's where I currently stand, I'll try to let you all know what's causing the zipper noise when it is diagnosed.

Last edited by zack; 25 May 2007 at 11:43 pm.
Old 26 May 2007, 08:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

if you don't get things done always call chrysler direct if you still have a warrenty
Old 11 Jun 2007, 11:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

I feel like I'm going to have to, Bill Bryan installed the clock spring, but the mechanic scratched the right spoke. They said they contract paint stuff to a shop called "creative customs".

So, I go in again for a little bit of touch up paint on the scratches and the guy resprays the right spoke. Unfortunately, he somehow managed to crack the original paint on the top of the spoke while only completely sanding the bottom of the spoke before spray. This left a bottom coat less even than a lot of the spray can jobs i've done and the top of the spoke looking terrible. He also managed to overspray all over my instrument cluster.

I'm rather angry right now, since this poor paint happened just an hour ago.

On another note, a different dealership ordered in a new bushing for my clutch to fix the zipper noise.