Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jun 2003, 11:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Oil Change

Has anybody changed their own oil? How hard is the filter to remove? What's the best wrench type to do it? Where is the filter located?
Old 05 Jun 2003, 12:44 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Gary C

*very* easy.
I just use an oil filter wrench.. or if you prefer you can get one of the filter wrenches that crush the filter, but definatly grab a hold of it.
I've already done 4 changes on her, and they're honestly one of the easiest changes I've done, save for remote oil filters that have been installed on my prior owned cars that lived at the race track. now THAT was a walk in the park.[?]
The PT isn't bad at all though.
as for filter location, crawl under the car, you can't miss it... i'd post pictures of the location, but i don't have any sorry.
Old 05 Jun 2003, 09:41 am
Young Cruiser

I concur! the filter is right above the drain plug so you can remove the plug and change the filter without repositioning the drain pan.

The only thing I noticed is the filter wrench I have just fits between the intercooler tube and the end of the filter. Once I had the filter loose I could not slip it back out. Not a biggy just had to let it hang until I had the filter off.

I have always tried to cross reference to a larger filter on my cars. There does not appear to be enough room for other than the stock filter. At least the turbo filter is bigger than the NA engines filter. I am going to try to fit the filter I use on my Avenger, Daytona and Barracuda (FRAM PH8A)but I think it's going to be to large in diameter.
Old 05 Jun 2003, 11:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was able to use a larger filter. In fact, I went all the way to a Fram X2 3600 filter and the Sure Drain set up. It is accurate that there's not a lot of extra room though.
Old 05 Jun 2003, 01:56 pm
Young Cruiser

The 3600 size filter is the specified one for the turbo motors. When the owners manual called out two different filters for the NA and turbo motors I went digging and came up with the 3600 verse the 3614 the NA cars use. The local parts store books I looked in did not have a specific listing for the turbo motor. The 3600 was identical in size to the factory filter I removed at my first oil change.
Old 05 Jun 2003, 05:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hey, Jeff. Go get your Mobil1 5-30 or 10-30 at MD Motors in Rockville. Rocko gets us a 10% discount.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jeff V

Has anybody changed their own oil? How hard is the filter to remove? What's the best wrench type to do it? Where is the filter located?
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 05 Jun 2003, 07:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

But I thought you were gonna pick me up one of those 5-gallon tubs for $18.88 since you have a WalMart up there!
Old 05 Jun 2003, 10:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jeff V

But I thought you were gonna pick me up one of those 5-gallon tubs for $18.88 since you have a WalMart up there!
OH SCHNITZ! I forgot all about going to to WallyWorld for oil.[xx(] Damn, i was looking for a mower part LOL![:0]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 06 Jun 2003, 10:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

By the time I got there the shelf was nearly empty! Guess I let the cat out of the bag here in AZ!!!