Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Exhaust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2007, 03:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Exhaust

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 2003 PT Cruiser Turbo and really love it. I was checking out exhaust systems for a bit more growl and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the BTG Gen III axle/back muffler setup? Can you recommend it?

baddad
Old 20 Apr 2007, 01:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddad View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 2003 PT Cruiser Turbo and really love it. I was checking out exhaust systems for a bit more growl and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the BTG Gen III axle/back muffler setup? Can you recommend it?

baddad
If you are into performance then you should go with at least a 2 1/2" catback exhaust. If you are really into performance then you will want to install a 3" o2 housing and 3" downpipe with highflow cat. Everything really depends how far you are going to go with power so you don't end up doing things you'll have to replace when you want more power. How much power you looking at?

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 22 Apr 2007, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mean Green, it's not that I don't care about performance, believe me I do. It's just that I'm on a limited budget and I like to keep things simple. Installing just the muffler saves money and trouble. For now, that would be enough for me. That and the set of Eibach sway bars I just bought for it.
Baddad
Old 23 Apr 2007, 01:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

No problem. OEM exhaust (2 1/4") is good up to Stage 1 levels.

Old 24 Apr 2007, 02:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: Exhaust

Speaking of stage I power. Have you installed that in your car yet. What can you tell me about it? Does it make quite a difference in the way the car feels? Is it something I could install myself? I have some mechanical ability. I used to swap camshafts and intake manifold setups on Chevy V-8s.

baddad
Old 24 Apr 2007, 11:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

Stage 1 is a great mod. You have to swap out bigger injectors and a new pcm. Should be easy enough for you. With the auto tranny you have to do a tranny learn. It's just a series of runs up to a specified mph that should be done on an open road that allows you to do so. You'll love the extra power, especially on an '03 GT.

Old 24 Apr 2007, 12:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I Have the BTG duals. I love them. Deep tone. You can actually look thru each piece, so it is true flow-thru. If you get a chance, find a PT club or meet near you and listen before you buy - music to one is noise to another.
The best part is when you ease off the gas, it "burbles".

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Apr 2007, 01:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quicksilverdon,
I see by your car specs that you have lowered just your back end by 1.5" Did you put lowering springs in it or is there some other way? I would also like to lower mine in the rear only but it looks like most places only want to sell you all 4 springs. Is your ride still comfortable and do you have any trouble with bottoming out occasionally?

baddad
Old 25 Apr 2007, 05:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddad View Post
Quicksilverdon,
I see by your car specs that you have lowered just your back end by 1.5" Did you put lowering springs in it or is there some other way? I would also like to lower mine in the rear only but it looks like most places only want to sell you all 4 springs. Is your ride still comfortable and do you have any trouble with bottoming out occasionally?
baddad
This is my second PT. The first one I bought rear springs from a Forum member who wanted MORE rake. For the '05 I bought a set and just didn't put fronts on. (Shox.Com - Suspension Techniques springs 2000 - 2006 Lowers 1.3" #60006 190.48 ) I did see a place that sold rears only, but price was worse than Shox.Com for 4.
I bottomed with the '02 with 4 big adult passengers over a RR track - I suspect it would've bottomed with stock springs.
Ride is unchanged. Rear springs are real easy to do - you just need a floor jack and jack stands.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles