Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Back fire in intake manifold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2007, 04:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Angry Back fire in intake manifold

This morning on the way to work I went around a slower car and pushed the gas pedal about half way, then bam and the CEL came on. The car ran rough, so I disconnected the battery and restarted. The cel was still on so I went home. I checked for codes and got p108. I saw that the MAP sensor had broken, and the electrical connector was just setting ther loose. I waited until the dealer opened to see if they had the sensor, I went and picked it up @ $142.00. After installing the new MAP sensor I started back to work and found there was no accelleration, just alot of throttle noise. I went back home again and removed the hose from the IC to the throttle body to see if it blew, and it was ok. I checked the lower hose from the turbo to the IC, and that was ok. The noise I was hearing was the same as when the dealer didn't put the lower hose on the IC properly.I gave up and took it to the dealer. The only other thing I can think of is the turbo as there was no power, but a lot of throttle noise.Any one have an idea, or had the same thing happen?
Old 25 Apr 2007, 05:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Back fire in intake manifold

Don't know what you mean by throttle noise - intake roar? Sounds like a hose is off and you have no boost. The noise is pressurized air that should be being fed into engine blowing to outside. I know you say you checked hose, but that's what it sounds like to me.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Apr 2007, 01:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Don, as I stated that was the first place I looked, even removed them to inspect close, and saw no ruptures or tears. I also checked all the other lines and couldn't find anything. After that I took it to the dealer, and today the dealer said it looks like the MAP connector. I told him that the connector lock broke, but I had tiewrapped and taped it secure, and there was no CEL afterwards. I asked them to check the turbo, waste gate, solenoids and boost pressure as it should be 12psi, and that I was concerned that it would run the same way when I pick it up as when I took it in. That has happened before, and one reason I don't take it in to them as I once did. For a 5 star dealer they have a lot of turnover in employees, and I don't think they have people skilled in working with turbos.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 07:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: Back fire in intake manifold

I picked the GT up and as I suspected it didn't run any better than when I left it with Jeep Chrysler of Ontario on Tuesday. They replaced the connector to the MAP sensor, but did nothing to fix the problem!I even took the service rep for a ride and stated all noise no go, and that I was pissed. They don't do pressure checks, they scan the PCM and if it doesn't show a problem, there isn't one! So much for a five star dealer! Yesterday the service manager assured me the problem would be fixed, and of course he was no where to be found today when I picked it up. Now I have to find, and fix the problem.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

call chrysler direct and tell them
Old 05 May 2007, 02:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Backfire in the manifold could have harmed the turbo itself or bent the blade in the throttlebody. I have seen both happen on boosted motors.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 05 May 2007, 05:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

I checked the turbo, and it looked ok. I also used a vacuum with a hose that would fit into the lower IC port to see if there were any blade pieces. The turbo is putting out plenty of boost,and the idle is fine. The problem is the plastic intake manifold split at the seams with no obvious damage. When the engine develops boost the manifold opens, and releases the pressure. I have ordered another manifold, and tie wrapped the manifold to keep it together for now. The tie wraps helped alot, at least it is driveable. I still have my aluminum manifold to fall back on.
Old 07 May 2007, 02:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yopu ought to write Chrysler and tell them - pretty pathetic that you had to find problem on your own.
Now, wonder what caused the backfire?
At least manifold is cheaper than other things it coulda been....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 May 2007, 07:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

glad you were able to fiqure out the problem
Old 09 May 2007, 08:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

So much for a five star dealer and their "turbo experts", especially the one that test drove my GT and said it was fine! You just can't trust those people, and that's the bottom line. I was going to buy a GT for the wife from them, but now I will look for another dealer. I am glad that I kept the aluminum manifold as a "back up", just need to buy gaskets for it (3). The scary thing is what about those people that can't work on thier own cars and have to take them to the dealer, and hope that it's road worthy when they pick it up!