PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Computer code # P0480

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2007, 08:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Computer code # P0480

Hey Dudes, I need your help on this one because all the do it yourself books and the websites that have PT computer codes DON'T have this code.
The code is P0480.
Also the radiator fan isn't working now too, meaning it doesn't come on at all and when you sit at a traffic light the guage will raise above half way.
Any help there?
The PT is a 03 turbo with 5 speed and all stock, Yeah I know, time to join the Stage 1 party and that is my plan soon.

Thanks
Old 03 Jul 2007, 07:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Computer code # P0480

OK, it's not exactly for the PT Cruiser, but I did some searching around and this seems to fit your problem:

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) - P0480 LOW SPEED COOLING FAN RELAY CIRCUIT FAULT (WITH A/C)

There's a lot of us that have had the fan motor burn out completely. To test if yours has burnt out (picture below) the wiring harness connector to the fan (seen from under the car) is located on the drivers side. It's the connector with the red tab on it. If you pull that apart and run both ground and hot wire to those wires, the fan should come on. If it doesn't, the motor is burnt out. If it does, then it might just be the relay which is located in the engine compartment in a black box just in front of the brake reservoir.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 03 Jul 2007, 08:45 am
Regular Cruiser

Cool Re: Computer code # P0480

Thanks Crewzin for the info and the pic.
I see your in Florida, so am I.....WE CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT AC!!!
Old 03 Jul 2007, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

...and I see your from Ocala. That just 30 minutes from me. I'm over here between Inverness and Crystal River, a section called Lecanto.

Heading out now to catch the early showing of Transformers at the movies. Any other questions, don't hesitate to put them in the forum or email me at home.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 03 Jul 2007, 09:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Well I tested it and it's the fan. Called the dealer for a new one and it's 646.40.....HOLY SHEEP DIP. And of course he has to order it so what else is new.
Old 03 Jul 2007, 01:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

STOP !!!

There's loads of them on eBay for under $100. Other places sell them for a heck of a lot less than the dealer too. Cancel your order. Do a search on eBay for "pt cruiser fan" or here's a couple places that sell it for a lot less...

PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts

Shop for Chrysler PT Cruiser Radiator Fan at 1A Auto®
Old 17 Jul 2007, 12:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIHEMI46 View Post
Hey Dudes, I need your help on this one because all the do it yourself books and the websites that have PT computer codes DON'T have this code.
The code is P0480.
Also the radiator fan isn't working now too, meaning it doesn't come on at all and when you sit at a traffic light the guage will raise above half way.
Any help there?
The PT is a 03 turbo with 5 speed and all stock, Yeah I know, time to join the Stage 1 party and that is my plan soon.

Thanks
Hi MINIHEMI,
Just wondering if the issue related to the fan seizing up was resolved with the replacement of a new fan? I had mine replaced this week. My car continues to overheat! I had the work done at my local Chrysler Dealer. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Kim,

I know the dealer replaced the fan. Does it come on when you turn on the air-conditioning? It should if it's working right. When your fan burnt out, did your car overheat to the point of water boiling out of the overflow? Did it start to overheat again right after they replaced the fan. They could have messed up in filling up the radiator and overflow tank and left some air in the system. If it's only been a very short time since they replaced the fan, take it back and tell them it's still overheating.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 04:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Computer code # P0480

I just got a call from Chrysler. First they couldn't get it to overheat. Thay had in running. I told them it has to be driven to overheat. Bingo, It did. So now they want to keep it a couple days and take the top of the head off to see if any damage because when they suggested to do a cooling system flush, lie, i requested it! they say the system was very dark and muddy.So why not tell me that immediately. I asked is it possible there was some air in the line of "no". They say they check the relay. So now I bet money they say the head gasket needs replaced! What a scam. I love my Pt. This was to be my car till it died. Looks like its dying much sooner than expected. I'm so P#@$&d! I pay this off in October. Maybe I should trade her in.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 04:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Kim,

I asked before but you didn't answer. How much did it overheat? Was it in the RED for a long time? You have an aluminum head, and it doesn't take a long time for it to warp because of excessive heat or blow a head gasket which is a lot better than warping the head and a lot less expensive.